For the same reasons Gregg provides, cider was a more popular drink, especially the fermented variety, in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries than it is today.  You could whet your whistle and stay healthy, with greater probability, than by drinking milk, and it went hand-in-hand with that other well-known health drink, wheat juice.

martin zehr
kansas city

--- On Sun, 9/5/10, Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Twain and alcohol
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 2:18 PM

Absolutely, and not in jest at all.

Regarding milk, the U.S. frontier was known for "milk-sickness."  It wasn't understood until the 1920s that cows that ate white snakeroot (which is common in the Eastern half of the U.S.) passed toxins in their milk.  Alcohol neutralizes the snakeroot poison, so many of the popular, alcohol-based snake-oil medicines of the day (eg the Pain-killer that figures in Chapter 12 of _Tom Sawyer_) actually helped in some situations.  (Is the human love of analogy the grounds, then, for the supersitition that alcohol helped those who were bitten by rattlesnakes?)

Water-born diseases included killers such as cholera, typhoid, and dysentery.  No wonder that tea, coffee, beer, wine, and spirits were the common drinks.  In _Of Plymouth Plantation_, William Bradford lists a shortage of beer as among the salient and deadly privations of the first year in Massachusetts: "As this calamitie fell among y^e passengers that were to be
left here to plant, and were hasted a shore and made to drinke water,
that y^e sea-men might have y^e more beer," etc.

Gregg