*4th Annual Nursing Students of Ontario Model World Health Organization
Conference
*

    What does health mean to you?  Is it not having to visit a doctor or is
it knowing that you have access to medical care when you need it?  Is it
making healthy choices in the cafeteria or is it having access to clean
water and food?

    Definitions of health vary widely locally and globally.  For many
people, health and well-being are determined by access to the necessities of
life: potable water, uncontaminated food, shelter and care in times of
illness.  The 4th Annual Nursing Students of Ontario Model World Health
Organization (WHO) conference is an opportunity for post-secondary students
to come together to explore the social determinants of health and to develop
resolutions for more equitable global health.

    Topics for debate at the Model WHO conference on February 18th and 19th,
2011 include:* Access to Water as a Human Right, Food Security in the Face
of Climate Change, Access to Health Care in Rural and Remote Settings, and
Indigenous Health and Resource Extraction*.  We are inviting post-secondary
students from Peterborough and the surrounding area to come to Trent and
learn about environmental health.  The Model WHO is an opportunity for
post-secondary students to develop the skills required to address social
justice issues and to practice developing achievable strategies for change.
    We are pleased to welcome special guests *John Pringle* and *Jessica Yee
*.  John has experience working for *Medecins Sans Frontieres* in Nigeria
and along the Eritrean-Ethiopian border.  His appearance is co-sponsored by
the Kawartha World Issues Centre and he will speaking on Friday, February
18th.  Jessica is an author, activist and founder of the* Native Youth
Sexual Health Network* and she will be speaking on Saturday, February 19th
at 2pm.  Community members are welcome to attend both speaker presentations,
but only students may register for the debate and resolution development
portion of the conference.  All conference proceedings are free of cost.
Please check our website: www.trentuwho.ca for more details.
    The conference is sponsored by the Nursing Students of Ontario who are a
student interest group of the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario, the
Trent-Fleming Nursing Students’ Association, the Trent School of Nursing and
the Trent Central Student Association.  It is open to post-secondary
students in any discipline. * We welcome students and community members to
attend the speakers’ presentation and to find out how and why nurses are
appropriate agents for change in our community and the world at large.*  See
you there!

Written by Kate St. Amand, BScN (c)
on behalf of: NSO, TFNSA, TCSA