Dear Floris,

I think it very difficult to translate it into English.
When a layman hears this expression, it certainly sounds like
a development of religious theories, to be sure.
During my stay in Germany in 1990s,
when I explained my field by using this expression,
a typical reaction was:
"Oh, but that has nothing to do with church?"
The expression is a bit obsolete now, but
still continues to be used.
Perhaps my German friends can explain the situation better than I do.

Cheers,

Yukihiro Ikeda
Department of Economics
Keio University