[Apologies for cross-posting]

The deadline for submission of proposals for the Archives Association of Ontario's annual conference in Toronto, June 13-15, 2012, is fast approaching.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about submitting a proposal.

Julia Hendry

Call for Papers: 2012 AAO Conference, Toronto  "Conflict and Commemoration"

As  2012 marks the 200th anniversary of the start of the War of 1812, the 2012 AAO conference programme will take as its theme "Conflict and Commemoration."  This timely theme provides an opportunity for archivists to explore the intersection of our mission and work with conflict, in its broadest sense, and commemoration.

Archives across the province house collections that document the conflicts -- be they armed or non-violent, formal or unofficial -- that have shaped our communities and our province.  Ontarians have participated in Canada's armed conflicts (the War of 1812, the First and Second World Wars, and the Korean War, for example), and have been a part of conflict stemming from social, class, religious and other types of difference and discord.  Archives and archivists have a significant role to play in the commemoration of events like wars, rebellions, strikes, social unrest, schisms, and persecutions.

The 2012 AAO Conference in Toronto will explore the issues associated with collecting and making available archival records that document conflict, and discuss the ways in which archives can and do participate in the commemoration of these events.  The Programme Committee invites proposals on the themes including, but not limited to the following:

-      Collection development challenges and opportunities in documenting conflict -

How have conflicts been documented in the past?  What are the challenges for documenting conflict in the 21st century?

-      Collaborations between archives, museums, libraries and other partners to commemorate and interpret conflicts such as the War of 1812

-      Experiences and challenges documenting ongoing social, class, labour or religious conflict

-      Outreach programmes including exhibits and educational programming that commemorate conflict

-      The acquisition or use of non-textual media, such as documentary art and maps, to enhance our understanding of war and conflicts

-      Ethical issues archivists face in interpreting war and other conflicts

The Program Committee will accept both individual submissions for papers as well as proposals for sessions consisting of two or three participants and a chairperson. Proposals should include the name of the speaker(s), job title(s), institution(s), title of the paper(s) as well as a description of the paper or session. Submissions should not exceed 300 words in length.

THE DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS IS NOVEMBER 18, 2011.

Session proposals and any questions should be directed to the Programme Chair:

Julia Hendry

Head, Archives and Special Collections

Wilfrid Laurier University

Julia Hendry