Like most quotes attributed to Twain, this one seems too banal and too modern in its diction to be authentic.

Fred Shapiro
Editor
YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (Yale University Press)

From: Mark Twain Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of JULES AUSTIN HOJNOWSKI [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 11:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: quotation verification

I looked in the "L's" in
http://www.twainquotes.com/L.html

and did not see anything.
I googled the quote,  and got this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=3D%22The+worst+loneliness+is+not+to+be+comfo=
rtable+with+yourself.%22&ie=3Dutf-8&oe=3Dutf-8&aq=3Dt&rls=3Dorg.mozilla:en-=
US:official&client=3Dfirefox-a

the one site said:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=3D20081103184240AAtKGHc

"the worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself"- Mark Twain?
what does this quote mean? can u explain please

    * 3 years ago
    * Report Abuse

strooxstroox by strooxst...

Member since:
    October 30, 2008
Total points:
    308 (Level 2)

    * Add Contact
    * Block

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
I can't say for sure, I've never heard this quote before, but I would imagi=
ne it has to do with developmental psychology, or at least the concept of a=
utonomy.

Basically, think of the common phrase, "GURL, no one can love you like you =
can!" It's an encouragement to not measure your self worth based on how oth=
er people view you. It's saying that as long as you're happy with who you a=
re, then no one can bring you down.

In this case, however, it is saying that even if you have all the friends i=
n the world, you can still feel lonely and separated from the world if you =
are are putting on a false face or just acting to gain other people's appro=
val.

    * 3 years ago
   =20

Asker's Rating:
    5 out of 5
Asker's Comment:
    good explanation

So I think it is not a Twain saying, sorry!
Jules