I like Kevin's response to this query.

He is exactly right to associate Twain with the " 'disorder' and Joycean stream-of-consciousness and cinematic flashbacks [that]  perhaps reflect how we all re-experience our own lives from a little distance."  I think some readers' surprise and impatience when they encounter this in Twain may reflect the ways in which Twain has been unjustly pigeon-holed as a writer who is rarely if ever associated with modernist efforts to capture how we think.

I also like Kevin's comment that  "In some ways it achieves greater truth and intimacy because it isn't matted and framed into rigid chronological episodes excavated out of a diary. Such careful structuring can be used to hide and obscure deeper truths." My favorite example of this is also probably my favorite passage in the book, and gives a taste of why it was such a good idea for the MTP editors to go to the lengths they did to give us what Twain actually wrote. Earlier versions of this material structured along chronological   or thematic principles included the first part of the comment that follows, but not the second (which I put in italics):  After noting that he couldn't do something because of a previous engagement, Twain writes, "The engagement which I spoke of to Tchaykoffsky was to act as chairman at the first meeting of the association which was formed five months ago in the interest of the adult blind. Joseph H. Choate and I had a very good time there, and I came away with the conviction that that excellent enterprise is going to flourish, and will bear abundant fruit." But earlier versions omitted this, which immediately followed: "It will do for the adult blind what Congress and the several legislatures do so faithfully and with such enthusiasm for our lawless railway corporations, our rotten beef trusts, our vast robber dens of insurance magnates; in a word, for each and all of our multimillionaires and their industries--protect them, take watchful care of them, preserve them from harm like Providence, and secure their prosperity, and increase it." Twain’s scathing and critique of plutocracy and the power of corporations, is, alas, as timely as ever.

Kevin's observation that when he's chatted about the autobiography with people at book fairs, no two people come up with the same favorite passage has made me curious: what are the favorite passages of people on this list?

Shelley Fisher Fishkin
Joseph S. Atha Professor of Humanities, Professor of English, and Director of American Studies, Stanford University
Mail: Department of English, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-2087
http://english.stanford.edu/bio.php?name_id=51