A  friend is writing a "tweenage" mystery story set in Carson City in 1862.
I was  asked to review some of it. It includes the following passage, which
I have some  questions about. It seems to me that Sam was the ringleader
for the Third House,  and that he would have delivered the "Captain Jim"
speech. Is anyone familiar  enough with that event to tell me of the writer has
it right, below, or if my  thoughts above are more in line with what
happened?
Bob  Stewart, Carson City
[The setting is the street outside Mrs. Murphy's  Boardinghouse]
Sam Clemens came hurrying out. ‘Sorry I’m late, boys,’ he  said. ‘Where
are we bound?’
‘We are bound for the Deer Lick Saloon,’ said one, ‘where  they are
holding the Third House.’
‘They say Cap’n Jim will be giving a burlesque version of  the Governor’s
Speech,’ said one with an Irish accent. ‘Only shorter and more  humorous.’
I thought, ‘I would like to hear that.’
Sam Clemens said, ‘I would like to hear  that.’
‘They are meeting at the Deer Lick Saloon,’ said another.
‘Bar-keep there mixes one of them new cocktails,’ said a  third. ‘It is
called a Blue Blazer. It involves flinging flaming whiskey from  one silver
mug to another.’
I thought, ‘I would like to see that.’     Sam Clemens said,