Mason,

I did not refer to Dewey as a eugenicist, only that he looked up the Great
War as "cleansing."

I withdraw nothing re Commons.  As an example, see his Races and
Immigrants:

"In the entire circuit of the globe those races which have developed under
a tropical sun are found to be indolent and fickle. From the standpoint of
survival of the fittest, such vices are virtues, for severe and continuous
exertion under tropical conditions bring prostration and predisposition to
disease. Therefore, if such races are to adopt that industrious life which
is a  second nature to races of the temperate zones, it is only through some
form of  compulsion. The negro could not possibly have found a place in
American industry  had he come as a free man..." (p.136).

In addition, his anti-Semitism was well known.  Mark Perlman noted  that
his father, Selig, was referred to as "Commons' Jew."

Charles McCann