That Progressivism is not a "movement," in Filene's estimation anyway, does not suggest the lack of ideological affinity among those who called themselves Progressive.  That eugenics played a large role in Progressive thought is undeniable to anyone who takes the effort to read the literature.  This has been well documented by, among others, Tim Leonard, and my book "Order and Control in American Socio-economic Thought," makes the case as well.  (Although Tim has written far more on the issue.)  I do not need to associate Progressivism and eugenics -- they achieved that connection all by themselves.

CM