Hello Lauri and all,

Isn't it strange, we talk so much about the SDOH, but are still not sure
how to explain or present it right. For sure it is a big disadvantage in
selling ourselves to the public or to decision makers! Looking forward to
the input of others - how do you explain the SDOH and their impact?

Concerning a graphic, here you can find the simple but catchy one by
Schroeder 2007:
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/healthdeterminants1.jpg
It was published in the NEJM and the data were adapted from McGinnis 2002.
Again, it is not complete and most distal determinants are missing.

And I am still unsure, are 30% genetically determined? Does health care
contribute just 10%? Does anybody know some studies on these issues?
And, if the SDoH would be part of this graph, would it be a big part or a
small part - because the main impact of education, income, etc is mediated
through health behaviours/lifestyle?! It was already mentioned, this is an
issue of complexity and inter-dependence...

Schroeder SA. Shattuck Lecture. We can do better--improving the health of
the American people. N Engl J Med. 2007 Sep 20;357(12):1221-8. (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17881753)
McGinnis JM, Williams-Russo P, Knickman JR. The case for more active policy
attention to health promotion. Health Aff (Millwood) 2002;21(2):78-93. (
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11900188)

Best wishes,
Florian

--
--------------------
Dr. Florian Stigler, MPH

JAMÖ Board Member 2009-2011 (Young GPs of Austria, www.jamoe.at)
IFMSA Board Member 2008-2010 (International Federation of Medical Students'
Associations, www.ifmsa.org)
AMSA Board Member 2005-2009 (Austrian Medical Students' Association,
www.amsa.at)

Email:  [log in to unmask]
GSM:  + 43 650 5432 432
Skype: "medflo"