Hello Lauri and all,

Isn't it strange, we talk so much about the SDOH, but are still not sure how to explain or present it right. For sure it is a big disadvantage in selling ourselves to the public or to decision makers! Looking forward to the input of others - how do you explain the SDOH and their impact?

Concerning a graphic, here you can find the simple but catchy one by Schroeder 2007: http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/healthdeterminants1.jpg
It was published in the NEJM and the data were adapted from McGinnis 2002. Again, it is not complete and most distal determinants are missing.

And I am still unsure, are 30% genetically determined? Does health care contribute just 10%? Does anybody know some studies on these issues?
And, if the SDoH would be part of this graph, would it be a big part or a small part - because the main impact of education, income, etc is mediated through health behaviours/lifestyle?! It was already mentioned, this is an issue of complexity and inter-dependence...

Schroeder SA. Shattuck Lecture. We can do better--improving the health of the American people. N Engl J Med. 2007 Sep 20;357(12):1221-8. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17881753)

McGinnis JM, Williams-Russo P, Knickman JR. The case for more active policy attention to health promotion. Health Aff (Millwood) 2002;21(2):78-93. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11900188)

Best wishes,
Florian