From:  "Steve Kates";<[log in to unmask]>;
Date:  Wed, Aug 28, 2013 03:07 PM
To:  "SHOE"<[log in to unmask]>;
Subject:  [SHOE] Economics and history at Scientific American

There was a guest blog post at Scientific American on August 16 that may be of interest to list members. It is titled, "Is Economics More Like History than Physics?" and can be found at this link:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/08/16/is-economics-more-like-history-than-physics/

It's only short and is focused on macro as its opening para suggests:

'Is economics like physics, or more like history? Steven Pinker says, ¡°No sane thinker would try to explain World War I in the language of physics.¡± Yet some economists aim close to such craziness.'

Do they? Well I suppose they do. But it is articles like this that make me think that history is coming back into economics, and not before time.

--

Dr Steven Kates
School of Economics, Finance

Phone: (03) 9925 5878