From: "Avner Offer" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:28:01 AM
Subject: Re: [SHOE] The Keynesian multiplier

James Ahiakpor writes:

'it is impossible for banks' assets to exceed their deposit liabilities'

But that is no obstacle to the creation of new money. Every time a bank creates an asset (a loan), it also creates a liability in the form of a deposit. The desposit is created by the loan, not by savers. The risk for the bank is not being able to meet its liabilities, whicih is a matter of liquidity. It is not constrained necessarily by the existence or scale of external deposits.

Avner Offer

From Avner Offer, Chichele Professor Emeritus of Economic History, University of Oxford
  All Souls College, High St., Oxford OX1 4AL, tel. 44 1865 281404
 email: [log in to unmask]
 personal website:
 http://sites.google.com/site/avoffer/avneroffer