I also enjoyed *Mud*, but agree that the appropriations of Twain were a
little awkward.

I went in expecting a mystery/suspense film, so I was surprised how much of
the movie was about puppy love and the idealization of boy/girl
relationships (which afflicts both Mud and the main kid.)  I'd taught *Tom
Sawyer* at Davis just before the film came out, so the spectres of Tom and
Becky loomed large for me.

Seems like either the film holds up *Tom Sawyer* as an example of idealized
childhood romance that the movie subverts, OR it simply situates the movie
in an existing tradition of *realistic *adolescent lit by evoking Twain. It
depends on how one reads *TS*, of course.

I'd encourage folks to see it.  Any film that features Michael Shannon
singing "Help Me, Rhonda" can't be all bad.

--
Nathaniel Williams
University Writing Program