FYI: i thought some of you might like to see what's happening with MT elsewhere:  in a very large conference, only 2 mentions.  Howells receives precisely ZERO mentions in a 23-pp, small-print program...

I'm heading to Chicago tomorrow and if anyone is going and wants to try and meet, shoot me an email, perhaps we can hit the Billy Goat Tavern for a cheez-burga...-Hal B.

7. Failure—A Roundtable

Chair: Stephanie Foote, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dale Bauer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, “Southworth: Seriality as Failure” Elizabeth Freeman, University of California, Davis, “Dickinson: Failure to Thrive” Andrew Hoberek, University of Missouri, “Henry Adams: Failure as Progress”
Franklin Ridgway, University of Cincinnati, “Twain and Dudley: The Spectacle of Failure” Michael Snediker, University of Houston, “Emerson: Transcendent Failure”

8. Sustainability—A Roundtable

Chair: Teresa A. Goddu, Vanderbilt University
Kaye Wierzbicki, Harvard University, “The Problem of the Prairie Garden: Willa Cather’s

Horizontal Skepticism”
Matthew A. Taylor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, “Mark Twain in Space: The Scale of Criticism”
Jennifer James, George Washington University, “The Environmental Afterlives of Slavery:

T. Thomas Fortune’s Black and White: Land, Labor and Politics in the South and Charles

Chesnutt’s The Colonel’s Dream
Lynne Feeley, Duke University, “North Elba’s Experimental Ecologies”
Jamie L. Jones, University of Michigan, “What We Make Light Of: Imagining Energy in the

Nineteenth Century”

--
Prof. Harold K. Bush
Professor of English