These theses may be of interest to some readers of this list.

Subject: "The future of special collections is openness"

From: Klaus Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:13:14 +0100

Overholt, John H. 2013. Five theses on the future of special
collections.RMB: A Journal of Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Cultural
Heritage 14(1):15-20

http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HUL.InstRepos:10601790

"When we claim copyright over our digital collections, or impose permission
fees or licensing terms on users, we are arguably misrepresenting the law,
and certainly violating one of the central ethical tenets of the
profession:to promote the free dissemination of information. And, when
those conditions are demanded by donors, we ought to consider whether we
can accept collectionsunder such circumstances."

Worth reading!
Klaus Graf
Iona McCraith
Archives Advisor