There is, I think, a little bit of presentism (and perhaps field bias as well)  in the idea that the top of the list is weaker than the bottom.  Houthakker, Griliches, Nerlove, Jorgenson, Fisher, Feldstein not only had distinguished careers, as anyone as old as me (and I'm not that old, would recall) but, it seems to me, have at least as much chance of being remembered by historians doing systematic work on these periods as anyone on the bottom of the list.

Kevin Hoover