From: "Ric Holt" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "SHOE" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:19:26 AM
Subject: Re: [SHOE] Galbraith's writing voice

 Working with the Galbraith's letters I have come to appreciate the insightfulness of Alvin Hansen. Also my impression is that his ideas evolved over time, which is part of what made him a great economist -- his willingness to change his ideas and experiment with different models and policies to see where they would lead us. In a letter to Seymour Harris' widow, Galbraith mentioned the three economists he believed did the most to bring  Keynes to America (Currie would be part of that group also but in a more limited way for Galbraith). Here he is referring to Harris and then mentions Hansen and Samuelson.

“His [Harris] primary accomplishment was in bringing the ideas of John Maynard Keynes to the United States. With Alvin Hansen and Paul Samuelson, he was one of the three people who principally translated the Keynesian ideas into American terms, made them commonplace with American economists, their students and the larger public” (Letter from JKG to Dorothy Harris, December 16, 1974).

Paul Samuelson and Jim Tobin were students of Hansen. The question I'm asking myself is what level of influence did Hansen have on what has become known as the MIT method that has dominated how economics is done in America. And it seems Hansen is coming back again with this MIT crowd with his pioneer work on stagnation. One of the big debates Hansen had with Galbraith was over this method, though they never put it in those terms. Hansen believed that through the IS-LM model (which he helped create) you could deal with inflation and support employment with changes in the money supply i.e. interest rates, etc. Galbraith was very much against this (and the letters will show a long correspondence about this with Tobin) where he insisted that  the institutional approach of price controls were better to deal inflation than monetary policies through the IS-LM model. Galbraith was very hawkish on inflation, but no monetarist or followed the MIT method, but instead an institutionalist.  Finally about Harris, who Galbraith had a lot of respect for, in the same letter to his widow Galbraith wrote:

“Except for a tragic accident of history Seymour Harris would have ended his career a member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. It would have been fitting; one of Seymour’s first major works was a two-volume history of the System and its policies. In the late summer of 1963 there were two vacancies to be filled. One was to go to a comparative conservative. Those who were present remember President Kennedy’s delight in announcing that the other vacancy was to go to Seymour Harris. It was thought politic to make the conservative appointment first. President Kennedy was killed in Dallas before he could make the second appointment” (Letter from JKG to Dorothy Harris, December 16, 1974).

Ric