Upcoming Call for Papers, Panelists, Funding & Employment Opportunities, Awards and Summer Courses || Prochain appel à contributions pour les publications et conférences, bourses & offre d'emploi, prix et cours d'été

7 January | janvier 2015

All members of CASCA's Student Network as well as graduate program directors who have events or opportunities of interest to our members are invited to contact the moderators ([log in to unmask]). Links to detailed posting guidelines: in English and French.

Tous les membres du réseau des étudiants de CASCA ainsi que les directeurs de programmes d'études supérieures qui ont des événements ou des possibilités d'intérêt pour nos membres sont invités à contacter les modérateurs ([log in to unmask]). Voir ci-dessous pour directives sur les affectations détaillées:en français et anglais.

1. CALLS || APPELS

a) OPPORTUNITIES || OPPORTUNITÉS

[1] Abstracts - Panel - Conference - Anthropological Issues Raised by Religious/faith Healing - Deadline: January 15, 2015

[2] Submissions - International Festival of Ethnographic Film - Deadline: January 15, 2015

b) CFP PUBLICATIONS & CONFERENCES || APPEL À CONTRIBUTIONS POUR LES PUBLICATIONS ET CONFÉRENCES

[1] Panel - Conference- The Dystopian Underbelly of Food Utopias - Zagreb - June 2015 - Deadline: January 14, 2015

[2] Presentations - Food Systems Summit - The Right to Food: Power, Policy, and Politics in the 21st Century - University of Vermont - June 2015 - Deadline: January 15, 2015

[3] Abstract - Anthology - Sexuality at Home: Interdisciplinary and Cross-Cultural Approaches - Deadline: January 31, 2015

[4] Submission - Conference - Transnational Hispaniola: Theories Into Practices - Haiti - October 2015 - Deadline: January 31, 2015

[5] Submissions - Anthrosalon - Mind the Gap(s): Spaces of precarity/spaces of possibility - Deadline January 31, 2015

[6] Conference - Decolonizing Development: Opportunities & Alternatives Post-2015 - International Development (IDC) - Toronto - February 7 & 8, 2015

[7] Proposals - Panel - Conference - The Politics of Religious Space-Making - Deadline: February 15, 2015

2. FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES AND AWARDS || PRIX ET BOURSES

N/A

3. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES || OFFRE D'EMPLOI (in addition to/ en plus de http://www.cas-sca.ca/latest-jobs)

[1] Sessional Lecturer - Anthropology of Violence and Conflict - University of Regina - Deadline: January 31, 2015

[2] Sessional Lecturer - Intro to Anthropology - University of Regina - Deadline: January 31, 2015

[3] Professor- Tenure Track - Canada Research Chair - Tier 2 - Community & Cultural Engagement - Thompson Rivers University - Deadline: February 2, 2015

4. Requests and Queries from members of the CASCA Student Network (reply directly to the poster) ||  Requêtes Des Étudiant(E)S pour obtenir des conseils ou ressources (les réponses seront envoyées directement à l'étudiant(e) en question).

N/A

5. EVENTS || ÉVÉNEMENTS   &  SUMMER COURSES  || COURS D'ÉTÉ

N/A

--------------

1. CALLS || APPELS

a) OPPORTUNITIES || OPPORTUNITÉS

[1] Abstracts - Panel - Conference - Anthropological Issues Raised by Religious/faith Healing - Deadline: January 15, 2015

I would like to invite collaborators for a panel I'd like to put together for the upcoming SAR conference in San Diego. I'm considering assembling a panel on anthropological issues raised by religious/faith healing. In keeping with the conference theme, I'd especially like to encourage submissions that deal with the connection between rituals of healing and systems of morality, although I'd also be interested in abstracts that deal with other aspects of religious healing. My own paper will discuss Navajo Pentecostal healing etiology.If you would be interested in joining me, please send me an email ASAP, as abstracts are due by Jan. 15. My email is [log in to unmask]

Dr. Kimberly J. Marshall, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
University of Oklahoma

[2] Submissions - International Festival of Ethnographic Film - Deadline: January 15, 2015

Call for submissions: The 14th RAI International Festival of Ethnographic Film 2015 will be held in Bristol, 16 - 19 June 2015
Submissions are invited from any field of ethnographic film. Only films released (first screened in public) after 1st January 2012 are eligible for competitive screening. The deadline for submission is 15 January 2015!  For submission conditions, entry forms and awarded prizes & awards please get in touch, or check the RAI website
http://www.therai.org.uk/film/film-festival/

b) CFP PUBLICATIONS & CONFERENCES || APPEL À CONTRIBUTIONS POUR LES PUBLICATIONS ET CONFÉRENCES

[1] Panel - Conference- The Dystopian Underbelly Of Food Utopias - Zagreb - June 2015 - Deadline: January 14, 2015

CFP: Dystopian Underbellies of Food Utopias

With visions of Soylent (or the original, here) in the news these days, who can resist the following call for papers for a panel at the upcoming International Society for Ethnology and Folklore (SIEF) conference in Zagreb, June 21-25, 2015.

For the panel description: http://foodanthro.com/2014/12/18/cfp-dystopian-underbellies-of-food-utopias/

[2] Presentations - Food Systems Summit - The Right to Food: Power, Policy, and Politics in the 21st Century - University of Vermont - June 2015 - Deadline: January 15, 2015

CFP: 2015 UVM Food Systems Summit

Call for Presentations
2015 UVM Food Systems Summit
The Right to Food: Power, Policy, and Politics in the 21st Century
June 16-17, 2015 | Burlington, VT

For more information: http://foodanthro.com/2014/12/19/cfp-2015-uvm-food-systems-summit/

[3] Abstract - Anthology - Sexuality at Home: Interdisciplinary and Cross-Cultural Approaches - Deadline: January 31, 2015

Call for Abstracts - Sexuality at Home: Interdisciplinary and Cross-Cultural Approaches

Sexuality at Home is the first book-length study devoted to exploring the multiple meanings and experiences of home through the framework of sexuality which will be culturally and historically specific. This book will form part of the new Home series edited by Rosie Cox and Victor Buchli; it will form part of the first wave of titles for the series launch in August 2017. Our anthology will build on this research through presenting close analyses of the ways in which home is constructed, performed and experienced in relation to sexuality; it will also consider the various ways that age, class, ethnicity, and gender intersect with sexuality at home.

In that the book contract is now signed, the editors are only seeking proposals from academics who are exploring the relationship between the themes of sexuality and home with an ethnicity/or race-based focus with preference given to work from outside of the Global North/UK/America. Please send a 300 word abstract by 31 January 2015 to both: Rachael Scicluna,  [log in to unmask] and Brent Pilkey,  [log in to unmask]

[4] Submission - Conference - Transnational Hispaniola: Theories Into Practices - Haiti - October 2015 - Deadline: January 31, 2015

Please find the CFP for the Transnational Hispaniola Conference, scheduled for October 2015 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
 *TRANSNATIONAL** HISPANIOLA III:*
*THEORIES INTO PRACTICES*
PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI, OCTOBER 2015
*Colloquium Theme:*
Transborder and binational relations between Haitian and the Dominican Republic have permeated throughout history. The legacies of the social, cultural, economic, and political realities shared by both societies and their diasporas have created promising spaces of dialogue. Political and economic elites in both countries have, for the most part, ignored and/or tried to suppress these expressions of commonality, in favor of more divisive political and socio-economic discourses. The goal of the previous Transnational Hispaniola (TH) conferences in Santo Domingo and in the United States was to use scholarship and creative expression to transform dominant paradigms in Dominican and Haitian knowledge production, political culture, and pedagogy that reproduce class exploitation, gender-based violence, and social exclusion on the basis of citizenship, sexuality, language, culture, phenotype, and ability.
            With this latest colloquium, Transnational Hispaniola III (THIII) seeks to foster intellectual and creative production while also making a deliverable contribution to the education and training of attendees, with special emphasis on the students and faculty at Haitian universities. First, this TH event will be a venue to connect scholars from across the island and beyond who might otherwise not have an opportunity to engage in constructive dialogue across linguistic and national borders on issues affecting the peoples of Hispaniola and their diasporas.  Second, in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake, several initiatives were working toward strengthening higher education in Haiti through educational exchanges, like the US Fulbright program, a Wenner-Gren Institutional Development Grant, and bilateral university collaborations. To support these projects while continuing to work in the spirit of previous TH conferences, the organizers will facilitate teaching modules as a basis of offering a *Certificate in Transnational Hispaniola Studies *to those Haitian professors and students who participate.  Finally, we will have a series of workshops specifically for Haitian students and faculty.

*Topics*
The organizers are interested in submissions on any of the following topics:
   - Anthropological Methods and Theory
   - Haiti-DR Borderlands
   - Development and/or Non-governmental organizations
   - Tourism, Sex Work, Factories, Informal Economies, Markets, etc.
   - Education and/or Language and/or Linguistics and/or Literacy
   - Environmental Studies or Ecology
   - Gender and/or Sexuality
   - Human Rights
   - Land and/or agricultural production
   - Migration, mobility, and/or deportation
   - Race and Ethnicity
   - Religion
   - Research Design
   - Science and Technology
   - Social Movements
   - Urban planning
   - Technical workshops in art, poetry, music or other creative forms of expression

 The official languages of the conference are Kreyòl, Spanish, and English.
 Please send your submission by January 31, 2015 to
[log in to unmask].  Questions can be directed to Kiran
Jayaram at the above e-mail address.

[5] Submissions - Anthrosalon - Mind the Gap(s): Spaces of precarity/spaces of possibility - Deadline January 31, 2015

York University’s Social Anthropology Graduate Association (SAGA)

is proud to present an anthrosalon: Mind the Gap(s): Spaces of precarity/spaces of possibility

March 21, 2015 | York University, Toronto

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS & CURATORIAL/ARTIST STATEMENTS

DUE: January 31, 2015

 The Social Anthropology Graduate Association of York University invites submissions from scholars for our anthrosalon. Drawing on this year’s theme, Mind the Gap(s): Spaces of precarity/spaces of possibility, we seek to explore how gap(s) are contextualized, investigated, analysed and critiqued in theory, methodology, and practice by academics, artists, and activists.

This theme builds upon anthropology’s attunements to the, “precarities” (Allison 2013, Butler 2012), “possibilities” (Graeber 2007) and “frictions” (Tsing 2005) that gesture toward “an anthropology of the otherwise” (Povinelli 2011). We consider gap(s) as spaces where both precarity and possibility reside; as spaces where what has not yet been imagined takes shape, where the inarticulate and the unseen dwell and where the potential exists for new things to emerge. We approach gap(s) as ontological spaces where opportunities, desires, tensions, intensities, failures, and anxieties build. We ask: What constitutes the gap? How can we think about, through, and with gaps? What and who is being de-/re-/activated in the gap? How can we account for and represent gaps in our work? What is there to gain by discussing the gap?

We encourage participants to interpret the topic broadly. Submissions should inspire, challenge and expand our assumptions, understandings, and approaches to the notion of ‘gap.’ The examples below suggest just a few of the ways that you might consider your own research with respect to the theme.

between affect and articulation

between sensation and perception

between zones of inclusion and exclusion

between matters of concern and matters of fact

between official accounts and lived realities

between genealogies and narratives

between ‘naturalized’ categories and emergent categories

between evidentiary regimes and contested fields of power

between academia and activism

between culture and materialities

We welcome proposals of traditional papers, panels and poster presentations, but we also strongly encourage submissions that explore the theme through multimedia, performance, installation, and collaboration. To propose a presentation, please submit an abstract or statement of no more than 250 words. Paper presentations are limited to 15 minutes and panels (3 to 4 presenters) to 75 minutes. For interactive-, exhibition-, or event-based formats, please submit a curatorial/artist statement of up to three pages, including any space, time, or technical requirements you require.

Send submissions to [log in to unmask] by January 31, 2015. Include your name, institutional affiliation (if applicable), and contact information (mailing address, phone number, and email) on all submissions.

A fee of $20 will apply to those invited to participate. Notifications will be sent in early February. The anthrosalon will result in a special issue of Contingent Horizons: The York University Student Journal of Anthropology (www.contingenthorizons.com).

[6] Conference - Decolonizing Development: Opportunities & Alternatives Post-2015 - International Development (IDC) - Toronto - February 7 & 8, 2015

The 2015 International Development (IDC) hosted at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) on February 7thand 8th, 2015, would be of interest to your undergraduate and graduate students at the Department of Anthropology at the University of York. The theme of this year’s conference is “Decolonizing Development: Opportunities & Alternatives Post-2015.”This year is the fourth anniversary of the student-organized and student-led International Development Conference at UTSC. Our unique programming this year,including 11 thematic discussions, 6 workshops, a large-scale debate, and 2 keynote presentations, will actively engage all participants—speakers, students, development professionals, and faculty alike—in conversations surrounding issues of local, national and international development. The Conference hopes to promote greater thought, participation and exchange of ideas to empower attendees and inspire new visions of development, particularly as the era of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (UN MDGs) comes to a close, and new ideas are being generated to tackle development issues. This year, we have expanded our event to include cultural components such as art displays, a social justice dance performance, and music and spoken word.
We also have two competitions open:
1) Art Competition open to University of Toronto staff, faculty, students and alumni. Information can be found at the following link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qqj5XDmfoxsm6NHuzx1QWgg-AK__hW9yG8x-xlWzWMA/edit?usp=sharing
2) Pecha Kucha (“chit chat” sessions) Graduate Student Research Competition (open to any graduate student studying at a post-secondary institution). Information can be found at the following link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RkH6WqacMRiZ_i0ypW9t6D1mVjXpNHqNY4_hDHodLSw/edit?usp=sharing
Regular registration prices is $40 for both days, with meals included (check website for more details). Programming choices are allotted on a first-come-first-serve basis so register soon! Discounts are available for those who choose to participate in our environmental sustainability initiative by going paper free and not having their schedules printed.
Register on our website at
www.utoronto.org. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to email us at [log in to unmask]

[7] Proposals - Panel - Conference - The Politics of Religious Space-Making - Deadline: February 15, 2015

We invite paper proposals to our panel P1-08 The Politics of Religious Space-Making in the upcoming IUAES Inter-Congress 2015.

IUAES Inter-Congress 2015

15-17 July 2015, Bangkok, Thailand

Panel P1-08 The Politics of Religious Space-Making

Convenor: Wai-chi Chee, University of Hong Kong

Discussant: Saroja Dorairajoo, National University of Singapore

In the current ever expanding global networks of exchange, an unprecedented movement and connection of people, goods, capital, information, and ideas has blurred geographic confines, political borders and sociocultural boundaries. In this context, the intense and complex interactions between different religious communities and between religious and nonreligious groups lead to the constitution and reconstitution of new forms of religious space, both physical and symbolic. Different religious spaces are contained or allowed for in uneven ways: some spaces are encouraged and accepted while others are discouraged and rejected. The making of religious spaces is also intertwined with other spaces such as ethnic space and gender space. In the process, different religious communities find themselves challenged by the dynamics of religious space-making that constantly require creative adaptation.

The constitution of religious spaces entails the interplay between different opposing and yet interlocking forces, be it state vs civil space, or physical vs virtual space, or localism vs globalism, or spiritual vs secular, or tradition vs modernity. To tease out the complexities of religious space-making, this panel brings into discussion the ways religion spaces are negotiated, contested, created, and recreated in the public realm, and how this transforms religion.

This panel invites papers that address the following questions:

– What are the new forms of religious space and how are they created? How are claims for religious spaces negotiated, accepted or refuted? What are the roles of different actors?

– How is religious pluralism manifested, articulated and represented when different religious and non-religious groups compete for spaces? What is the interplay between religious practices and perceptions and religious space-making?

– How are religious spaces sites of agreements and disputes? What are the challenges and possibilities these spaces offer for religion?

– How do new forms of religious space contribute to religious homogeneity and plurality? How do they transform regulatory regime and open space?

– What are the dynamics between religious identity and other facets of identity such as gender, ethnic, and national identities?

– How are religious communities networked locally and globally? How do they identify with and distinguish themselves from each other?

– What are the politics of religious space-making in the context of migration?

By addressing the complexities of religious space-making, this panel seeks to contribute to the theoretical understanding of contemporary religious situation, especially when it pertains to religious pluralism and the relations between different religious groups as well as between religious and non-religious communities.

Please submit your paper abstracts (short abstract of 100 words and long abstract of 350 words) by 15 February 2015 to

<http://socanth.tu.ac.th/iuaes2015/2014/10/p1-08-the-politics-of-religious-space-making/>

2. FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES AND AWARDS || PRIX ET BOURSES

N/A

3. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES || OFFRE D'EMPLOI (in addition to/ en plus de http://www.cas-sca.ca/latest-jobs)

[1] Sessional Lecturer - Anthropology of Violence and Conflict - University of Regina - Deadline: January 31, 2015

Anthropology of Violence and Conflict / Anthropology 242AB, Sessional Lecturer

Institutional Position Page via: University of Regina

For more details see here: https://urcareers.uregina.ca/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp

[2] Sessional Lecturer - Intro to Anthropology - University of Regina - Deadline: January 31, 2015

Intro to Anthropology / Anthropology 100, Sessional Lecturer

Institutional Position Page via: University of Regina

For more details: https://urcareers.uregina.ca/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp

See more at: https://tru.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/3239

4. Requests and Queries from members of the CASCA Student Network (reply directly to the poster) ||  Requêtes Des Étudiant(E)S pour obtenir des conseils ou ressources (les réponses seront envoyées directement à l'étudiant(e) en question).

N/A

5. EVENTS || ÉVÉNEMENTS   &  SUMMER COURSES  || COURS D'ÉTÉ

N/A

---

*Submissions to the CASCA Grad List: English posting guidelines