Nicola,

David’s statement is a bit difficult to refute in the way that it is phrased!  I remain committed to the view that Social Darwinism was important in economics at that time and place.  I wrote about this in:

“Evolutionary Metaphors in Explanations of American Industrial Competition” (1995) in Biology as Society, Society as Biology: Metaphors, Sociology of Science Yearbook 1994, Volume XVIII, eds: S. Maasen, E. Mendelsohn and P. Weingart (Kluwer, pp 311-337).

And a bit in

“Competing Views of Competition in Late-Nineteenth Century American Economics” (1993) History of Political Economy, 25:4 563-604.

There are a couple of other papers in the first mentioned volume which deal with Social Darwinism.

Mary

Professor Mary S. Morgan

LSE, U. Amsterdam and Visiting Fellow, U.Penn

Vice President (Publications), British Academy

Catch Mary’s Keynes Lecture 2013 online here: http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/2013/Models_Fact_and_Fiction_in_Economics.cfm

General information, CV and “How Well Do Facts Travel?” project below:

[log in to unmask]">http:[log in to unmask]

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/economicHistory/Research/facts/Home.aspx