​Upcoming Call for Papers, Panelists, Funding & Employment Opportunities,
Awards and Summer Courses || Prochain appel à contributions pour les
publications et conférences, bourses & offre d'emploi, prix et cours d'été

5 February | février 2015

All members of CASCA's Student Network as well as graduate program
directors who have events or opportunities of interest to our members are
invited to contact the moderators ([log in to unmask]). Links to detailed
posting guidelines: in English and French
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c1zm5UGz8pUklkeXR4X3phYVE/view>.

Tous les membres du réseau des étudiants de CASCA ainsi que les directeurs
de programmes d'études supérieures qui ont des événements ou des
possibilités d'intérêt pour nos membres sont invités à contacter les
modérateurs ([log in to unmask]). Voir ci-dessous pour directives sur les
affectations détaillées:en français et anglais
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c1zm5UGz8pUklkeXR4X3phYVE/view>.

*1. CALLS || APPELS*

*a) Opportunities || Opportunités*

N/A

*b) CFP Publications & Conferences || Appel à contributions pour les*

*publications et conférences*

[1] Panels - AAA Meeting - Familiar/Strange

[2] Panel - AAA Meeting - The Politics of Moderate Islam Beyond US Empire -
Deadline: February 16, 2015

[3] Panel - AAA Meeting - Race and Justice - Association for Political
Legal Anthropology - Deadline: February 17, 2015

[4] Panel - AAA Meeting - Anthropology of Outer Space: Familiar Scales,
Strange Sites - deadline March 15, 2015

*2. FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES AND AWARDS || PRIX ET BOURSES*

N/A

*3. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES || OFFRE D'EMPLOI* (in addition to/ en plus de
http://www.cas-sca.ca/latest-jobs)

[1] Sessional Instructor - Cultural Anthropology - University of Manitoba -
Winnipeg - Deadline: February 12, 2015

[2] Lecturer - Nutritional Anthropology - St. George Anthropology
Department - University of Toronto - Deadline: March 27, 2015

*4. Requests and queries* from members of the CASCA Student Network (reply
directly to the poster) ||  *Requêtes des étudiant(e)s* pour obtenir des
conseils ou ressources (les réponses seront envoyées directement à
l'étudiant(e) en question).

N/A

 *5. **EVENTS || ÉVÉNEMENTS** & SUMMER COURSES ** || COURS D'ETE*

N/A

---

*1. CALLS || APPELS*

*a) Opportunities || Opportunités*

N/A

*b) CFP Publications & Conferences || Appel à contributions pour les*

*publications et conférences*

*[1] Panels - AAA Meeting - Familiar/Strange*

114th AAA Annual Meeting Call for Papers

Ann Stahl

“Familiar/Strange”; Denver, CO, November 18–22, 2015

For nearly six decades, Horace Miner’s tongue-in-cheek description of
middle Americans’ body practices have introduced students to anthropology’s
strategy of casting common sense in new light by making the familiar
strange. Unlike so many little-read academic pieces, his 1956 sardonic
spoof “Body Ritual Among the Nacirema” remains by far the most downloaded
article from the American Anthropologist. Despite its dated references to
hair curlers—not to mention its assumptions about American gender
relations—contemporary social science teachers and their students clearly
find Miner’s piece resonant and instructive as an exercise in making the
familiar strange.

The familiar/strange dyad, intended to spark an aha moment in Miner’s
reader, is a durable disciplinary tool with a venerable history. Indeed,
Edward Sapir called in 1921 for the “destructive analysis of the familiar”
as anthropological method, and centuries before, the essayist Montaigne had
described South American cannibals to the detriment of his French
contemporaries. Both Clyde Kluckhohn’s 1944 and Clifford Geertz’s 1984
descriptions of anthropologists themselves as, respectively, “eccentrics
interested in bizarre things” and “merchants of astonishment” indicate the
20th-century salience of the familiar/strange dyad.

However productive familiar/strange can be, whatever liberatory insights it
may encourage, it also carries the historical freight of primivitism,
whether in modernist or antimodernist forms. It can leave untroubled the
status of “the West” as a normative template and carry forward an
implication that “whiteness” remains a privileged site from which to
conceptualize and arbitrate inclusion and exclusion.  For decades,
anthropologists and others have labored to make visible the invisible
political-economic underpinnings of a disciplinary toolkit that
compares us to them. Used without historical political-economic
contextualization, the familiar/strange trope may veil past and present
relations of power and powerlessness by race, class, caste, religion, and
gender/sexuality, both within and across societies, thus obscuring more
than it reveals.

But familiar/strange nevertheless continues to work productively as a
strategy for knowing and communicating across sub-fields and genres of
anthropology. Well-contextualized, it can denaturalize taken-for-granted
frameworks and provide scaffolding for new-found, often empathetic
engagement. It is mobilized across contemporary topics ranging from human
biological variation, evolutionary history and the materiality of past
lifeways, to the study of health disparities, linguistic practices, and
activist, multimedia interventions that critically engage contemporary
political contestations around the globe. Its ubiquity—its status as
meme—provides all the more reason to scrutinize its multiple uses and
effects.

In making “Familiar/Strange” our thematic focus for the 2015 AAA Annual
Meeting we encourage reflection on the durability of this trope and the
questions of power and inequality it sometimes elides, with the broader aim
of stimulating exploration and expansion on what it simultaneously levers
open and nails down. Anthropologists of diverse backgrounds and varied
interests are thus invited to engage familiar/strange explicitly: its
productive and liberatory as well as obstructive functions.

Our theme invites both anthropologists and our partners in knowing—the
communities with whom we work, those whose pasts we engage, the public we
aim to reach—to explore how processes of estrangement and familiarization
operate as tools of knowledge production across anthropology’s breadth and
in our interdisciplinary engagements. We look forward to receiving
proposals that press us to grapple with both the problems and productivity
of this durable tension in these early decades of our discipline’s second
century.

*[2] Panel - AAA Meeting - The Politics of Moderate Islam Beyond US Empire
- Deadline: February 16, 2015*

call for papers for the 2015

Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association

CALL FOR PAPERS

Denver, November 18-22, 2015

The Politics of Moderate Islam Beyond US Empire

The apparent need for “moderate Muslims” to offer alternatives
to “hardline/radical/extremist Islam” has been prevalent in Euro-American
policy-oriented literature and mainstream media discourse since 9/11. This
call for the empowerment of “moderate Islam” has only increased in pitch
since the Paris terrorist attacks against the Charlie Hebdo satirists and
the rise of ISIS.  All too often, such calls articulate with Islamophobic
discourses about the ostensibly existential threat to “our values” posed by
the “Muslim peril.”

This panel explores and urges a move away from the prevalent securitization
of religious “moderation” not so much as an empirical reality, but as the
only analytical framework possible to think about religious moderation. The
policy-oriented understanding of “moderate Islam” subsumes the attempts of
differently positioned Muslims to produce, claim, and contest religious
moderation to the maneuverings of US empire and the geopolitical concerns
of the post-9/11 “war on terror.” By doing so, this subsuming ignores not
only the long history of Islamic contestations over what
is “moderation,” but also erases the different logics at play in internal
Muslim critique. These logics are no less political than Euro-American (or,
more generally, secular-liberal) attempts to define who are the “moderate
Muslims,” but they are not reducible to these attempts.

In this context, we ask: What is produced by the dichotomy of religious
moderate versus hardliner and what is elided in these categories? How do
Muslim activists in the Middle East, Asia, and the United States understand
and produce “moderation”? How are secular liberal projects and
understandings of “moderation”complicated by the fact that many
self-declared “moderate” Muslim activists are themselves highly critical of
secularism in their own societies and of US foreign policy? And what do we
miss when we pose the question of religious moderation as a dichotomy? In
other words, what if we approach these sets of questions around the “need
for moderation” without assuming what we are purporting to explain: which
is, what does it mean to be a “religious” person? What sorts of practices
and engagements become desirable to create from within a normative
religious frame at particular moments? How do these become recognizable to
others as “religious”while drawing on new forms and rhetorics?

 We invite ethnographically-grounded papers addressing these themes and
questions within the wide variety of religious traditions in Muslim
societies across regions.

Please send a CV, proposed paper title, and an abstract of no more than 250
words to Yasmin Moll ([log in to unmask]) and Narges Bajoghli (
[log in to unmask]) by Feb 16, 2015.

*[3] Panel - AAA Meeting - Race and Justice - Association for Political
Legal Anthropology - Deadline: February 17, 2015*

Hi! This letter comes to you from Jeffrey Martin and Erica Bornstein, 2015
Program Chairs for the Association for Political Legal Anthropology. We are
writing to encourage the organization of panels on the theme of Race and
Justice. Below is a boilerplate call for proposals that we invite you to
circulate with the membership of your section. You may circulate the call
as it is written, or you may modify it to make it more relevant to the
concerns of your section. In either case, by circulating something now you
will ensure interested members of your section will begin crafting their
proposals well in advance of the April 15th deadline for panel submission.
If you receive a quick enthusiastic response, you may even find yourself in
position to propose something for an Executive Session before the February
17th deadline. Moreover if you as Program Chair have any interest in (or
field any inquiries about) forming panels across sections, APLA would love
to assist in facilitating collaborative panels and working to ensure they
are included in the meeting’s program. For example, if you are looking for
a discussant or participants from outside your section, would like to
circulate a call for papers through the APLA list-serve and website, or
have any other ideas regarding collaboration, please do let us know (you
can write Jeff Martin at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). We
also hope we might reach out to you with similar requests, please let us
know if that is something you would welcome. It is our goal that this
year’s meeting will see an organized engagement with issues of race and
justice that showcases the strength of dialogue across our Association’s
diverse membership.

Thank you and best regards,
Jeff & Erica
---
Call for Panels on Race and Justice

American policing and justice system, made undeniably visible by the events
of 2014, President Monica Heller has called the American Anthropological
Association to take part in a national re-examination of “how structural
inequality makes racism and race-based violence commonplace.”

The killing of Michael Brown in 2014, violent practices in everyday
policing, and policing of political protest compel us to return our
scholarship to the tragedies of racist violence, racialization, and racial
inequalities. The failure to charge Michael Brown’s killer, and the
acquittals of Trayvon Martin’s and Eric Garner’s killers, compel us to
consider how the direct and structural violence of policing and justice
systems reproduce injustice. This year, let’s direct some of the energy
generated by the annual meeting of our Association into discussions which
explore the interconnections of race, justice, and injustice broadly, from
both contemporary and historical standpoints, and from beyond the US. The
growing anthropological scholarship on policing is one area where panels
might direct attention. Another area of interest is broader racial
inequalities in the administration of justice, including mass incarceration
in the US and the role of race in international law of the “War on Terror.”

The theme of the 2015 meeting is “Familiar Strange.” Racial categories work
to simultaneously familiarize and estrange people in social life — creating
the illusion of familiarity and knowledge about others, while
hierarchically differentiating and distancing groups of people from one
another. This is only one way the power of racialization works. The
discipline and our association have worked since the early twentieth
century to overcome roots in scientific racism, and conceptual panels on
this history and theory are welcome. Work on colonialism and
post-colonialism has drawn our attention to the power of racial categories
in governance and in global processes of imperialism, and we welcome work
in this area. Other areas of particular interest are social movements for
racial justice, race and restorative justice (eg, reparations), the role of
race in politics and governance (from transnational to municipal), and the
political economy of race.

This November, let us answer President Heller’s call to action by bringing
our diverse insights into a coordinated conversation about the
intersections of race and justice.

(If you like, you may include an optional closing remark indicating
authorship, e.g.: This statement was authored by Jeffrey Martin and Erica
Bornstein, 2015 Program Editors of the Association for Political and Legal
Anthropology. APLA is committed to the critical study of politics and law,
across the globe, and welcomes proposals from within and beyond the section
that address these themes.)

*[4] Panel - AAA Meeting - Anthropology of Outer Space: Familiar Scales,
Strange Sites - deadline March 15, 2015*

Call for Papers
"Anthropology of Outer Space: Familiar Scales, Strange Sites"
AAA 2015 – Denver, Colorado, USA

Topic: Current interdisciplinary research in the anthropology of outer
space.
Discussant: Lisa R. Messeri, PhD (Assistant Professor, University of
Virginia)
Organizers: Kira Turner, PhD candidate (York University) & Michael P.
Oman-Reagan, PhD Candidate (Memorial University)
Conference: 114th American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting
(November 18-22, 2015 in Denver, Colorado)

This panel aims to investigate the meanings, limits, and possibilities of
expanding our anthropological fieldwork into space. At stake is an
understanding of how human activity in space increasingly shapes possible
human futures both on and off planet Earth. We ask: What are the
constraints and potentialities of interrogating outer space in this
emerging era of science, imagination, exploration, and settlement?

Planetary scientists, astronauts, and others working within the contested
terrains of space science, exploration, settlement, and resource extraction
are constructing diverse, sometimes conflicting, visions for human futures
in space. This panel builds on anthropology’s attunement to multiple scales
of inquiry to investigate the complex dimensions of our emerging field
sites in both space and here on Earth. Narratives of space dominance,
alongside venture capitalism and the space industry, explicitly aim for the
privatization and commodification of other worlds and their resources.
However, today’s globalizing space exploration increasingly defies familiar
Cold War narratives as India, Nigeria, Indonesia, and others join the list
of space faring nations. At the boundaries where our familiar everyday
lives on Earth meet figurations of the alien and otherworldly in outer
space, we find productive areas of inquiry at the intersections of space
sciences, political economy, technosocialities, and imaginaries.

Anthropologists querying outer space are shaping theoretical,
methodological, and ethnographic approaches as they break new ground and
generate possibilities for this emergent field of the Anthropology of
Space. Inspired by the discourses, representations, materializations, and
imaginary worlds of outer space, as well as science fiction and
“speculative fabulations” (e.g., Haraway 2013), this panel aims to
highlight new anthropological scholarship exploring these tensions. We are
interested in work examining these topics through social, environmental,
historical, ontological, material, performative and other approaches, such
as:

• Space histories, scientific future imaginaries
• Embodied and anthropomorphized robotic exploration rovers
• Outer space infrastructures, analogues and extreme environments
• Space tourism, interstellar travel, multi-generational world ships
• Satellites, environment, climate change, space medicine
• Emergent methods and theories of what we could call
astro-/exo-/xeno-anthropology

Accordingly, we seek papers that contribute to the emerging anthropological
literature on outer space while unsettling understandings of the familiar
world amidst promises and threats of uncertain futures in both strange and
familiar places and spaces.

Anthropology has a history of engagements with space. In the 1970s, a
series of interdisciplinary AAA symposia brought scholars together to
discuss possible cultures of the future. In 1974, these organizers focused
their symposium on the question of extraterrestrial communities. The
resulting papers were collected in the book “Cultures Beyond the Earth: The
Role of Anthropology in Outer Space” (Maruyama et al. 1975). In 2009, David
Valentine, Valerie Olson, and Debbora Battaglia revived the call for
anthropologists to take outer space seriously as a field site with new
theoretical and methodological approaches (Valentine et al. 2009). Our
discussant, Lisa Messeri, takes up this challenge in her work on the role
of classification and place in space science (e.g., 2010, 2011, 2014). At
the 2012 AAA meeting, anthropologists engaging with outer space presented
their research in a panel entitled “Alter(native) Visions of Futures and
Outer Spaces.” That same year, a special collection in Anthropological
Quarterly brought together work by Abou Farman, Joseph Masco, Stefan
Helmreich, Götz Hoeppe, as well as Olson, Valentine, and Battaglia
(Valentine et al. 2012).

The night sky inspired our ancestors as they looked up at stars, planets,
and into the heart of the Milky Way while imagining their place in a
universe of deities, spirits, otherworlds, and afterlives. Maya mythologies
saw what we call the Milky Way as a path to the afterlife, and speculation
about other worlds and extraterrestrial life dates back to the writings of
Democritus (Dick 1982). Today, forty-five years after the NASA Apollo
program first landed humans on Earth’s moon, and 115 years after the first
science fiction film “Trip to the Moon” [Le Voyage dans la Lune], we see an
explosion of interest in space and space exploration. As scientific
engagements extend human activity to the far reaches of our solar system,
new technologies, networks, and socialities bring data and stories from
these otherworldly encounters back to earth. Space faring state
institutions, private corporations, and public fascination increasingly
confront the familiar and the strange through both imagined and actual
encounters with outer space.

To Submit: Please email a 250 word abstract to both session organizers by
March 15, 2015. Please include the title of the paper, author’s name,
affiliation, and email. For conference requirements please see
“Requirements for Section Invited and Volunteered Submissions” here:
http://www.aaanet.org/meetings/Call-for-Papers.cfm

Michael P. Oman-Reagan: [log in to unmask]
Kira Turner: [log in to unmask]

More Information: For references cited, updates on the panel, and more
information please visit the online CFP here:
http://religionandtechnology.com/AAA2015/

A version of the CFP can also be accessed on Academia.edu here:
http://tinyurl.com/AAA2015

*2. FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES AND AWARDS || PRIX ET BOURSES*

N/A

*3. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES || OFFRE D'EMPLOI* (in addition to/ en plus de
http://www.cas-sca.ca/latest-jobs)

*[1] Sessional Instructor - Cultural Anthropology - University of Manitoba
- Winnipeg - Deadline: February 12, 2015*

Job Details SESSIONAL INSTRUCTOR - - CSTR.1635

Show Instructions
<https://umanitoba.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=8971>

Job Title SESSIONAL INSTRUCTOR

Position Number EXSN0

Compensation Group C.U.P.E. LOCAL 3909 SESSIONALS

Faculty Extended Education

Department

Summer Session

Location Fort Garry Campus Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, CA

Course Name Cultural Anthropology

Course Number ANTH 1220

Credit Hours 3

Section (N/A if not applicable) A02

Time Slot 8:30am-10:30am

Course Type Degree Credit

Appointment Start Date 2015-07-02

Appointment End Date 2015-07-24

Rate 5078.64

Rate Type Course Rate

Qualifications

- Master's degree, Ph.D. or Ph.D. candidate preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, in the English
language is required.
- Background/specialization in subject area required.
- Demonstrated competence in post-secondary teaching required.
- Empathetic approach to the instructional needs and concerns of students
is required.
- Previous teaching in the subject area or related area would be an asset.

Key Responsibilities

Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities

- Preparing instructional and testing materials relevant to the course
being taught.
- Instructing/teaching/testing.
- Marking/grading of exams and assignments etc.
- Providing constructive feedback to students.
- Maintaining regular office hours.

Applications may be considered after the posting closing date.

If more than one section is advertised for this course different applicants
may be considered for each section, and applicants are required to indicate
their preferred section.

Where a University of Manitoba student is the successful candidate, the
terms and conditions of employment, including remuneration, will be
governed by the UM/CUPE 3909 (Student) Collective Agreement.

Additional Information

class days: Monday to Friday, final exam July 27

Posting Closing Date.(Requisition closes at 4:30 p.m. CT) 02/12/2015

Inquiries only (Note: applications must be submitted through REACH-UM)

Apply:
https://umanitoba.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/apply_online_login.php?q=cmVxdWlzaXRpb25faWQ9ODk3MQ==

*[2] Lecturer - Nutritional Anthropology - St. George Anthropology
Department - University of Toronto - Deadline: March 27, 2015*

Requisition Title: Lecturer - Nutritional Anthropology - 1500056

Job Field: Limited Term (Lecturer)

Faculty / Division: Faculty of Arts and Science

Department: Anthropology

Campus: St. George (downtown Toronto)

Job Posting: Jan 28, 2015

Job Closing: Mar 27, 2015

Description

The Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto, invites applications
for a two-year teaching-stream appointment in Biological (Evolutionary)
Anthropology, with a focus on human nutritional ecology and especially the
nutrition and health of women, infants and young children. The appointment
will be at the rank of Lecturer and will begin July 1, 2015 and end June
30, 2017, with the possibility of renewal. Salary will be commensurate with
qualifications and experience.

 Applicants must have a PhD in Anthropology or a closely related discipline
by July 1, 2015 or shortly thereafter and have a record of excellence in
teaching, in both small and large class settings, and teaching-related
activities such as curriculum development and student mentoring, and
demonstrated evidence of expertise in biological, medical, and/or
nutritional anthropology.

 The successful candidate will be prepared to teach a suite of
undergraduate courses that include a large second-year course on medical
anthropology and evolutionary perspectives on health across the life span,
a somewhat smaller third-year course on evolutionary theory, as well as
smaller courses at the third- and fourth-year level that could include one
on the anthropology of childhood and childcare. Experience at graduate
teaching would also be an asset.

The University of Toronto is a large, three-campus institution in a
vibrant, multiethnic region and has a very diverse student population. The
Department of Anthropology is a multi-field unit with diverse research and
teaching. It has 24 full-time faculty at the St. George campus and 43
graduate faculty across the three campuses. For more information about the
Department of Anthropology, please see our home page at
http://www.anthropology.utoronto.ca/.

Qualified candidates are invited to apply by clicking on the link below.
Applications should include a cover letter, teaching dossier
(including statement of teaching philosophy, sample course syllabi, and
student evaluations) and curriculum vitae along with the names of three
references. Application materials should be submitted online. Submission
guidelines are available at http://uoft.me/how-to-apply.

We recommend combining attached documents in one or two files in PDF/MS
Word format:
(1) Cover letter, CV
(2) Teaching Dossier

Applicants should arrange for three letters of recommendation to be
sent directly to Professor E.B. Banning, Chair, Department of Anthropology,
by email to [log in to unmask], by the closing date March
27, 2015. If you have questions about the position, please contact

The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its
community and especially welcomes applications from members of visible
minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities,
members of sexual minority groups and others who may contribute to further
diversification of ideas.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority.

Apply:
https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/application.jss?lang=en&type=1&csNo=10100&portal=2140181090&reqNo=235001