As a matter of theory, it is I think important to see the expression as an evolution from the quantity equation. One of the steps, emphasized by Hansen as early as 1927 in Business Cycle Theory, Its Development and Present Status, was Aftalion, see pp. 100-101 in my book Money Interest and Public Interest. "Aftalion summarized his theory in the equation R = PQ, where R is money income, P the price level, and Q real income. In this equation, the nominal value of real output (PQ) is related directly to money income (R) rather than to the quantity of money times the velocity of money (MV), as was customary in the tradition of the quantity theory of money."

Subsequently, I would also emphasize the importance of the development of national income accounts, which treat your equation as a definition. Keynes (1940 "How to Pay for the War" was an early use of the new national income accounting framework.

Perry

----- Original Message -----

From: "Stephen Marglin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "SHOE" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:57:46 AM
Subject: Re: [SHOE] Fwd: origins of Y=C+I+G+(X-M)

Samuelson deals with the closed economy version Y = C + I (that is, without G and X-M) in “Stability of Equilibrium,” Econometrica, 1941, pp 113ff. “Fiscal Policy and Income Determination,” QJE , 1942, has the formula Y = C + E, where E is the sum of private investment and government expenditure, in a footnote on p 584. Steve Marglin