"I do not doubt that the understanding of this point is impaired by the presumption that some sort of (naïve) Philips curve was widely accepted ... But of course no version of the Phillips curve was so accepted, and particularly not by the proponents of cost-push."

Is this illustrated by Paul Samuelson statement that the Phillips curve was

one of the most important concepts of our time. Any criticism of the guideposts which does not explicitly take into account the Phillips curve concept, I have to treat as having missed the fundamental point of all economic discussions.

And by the advocacy of five other Nobel laureates: Tobin, Klein, Solow, Modigliano and (in its original stabilization context) Meade?

Why did the journal of which James is managing editor publish an error-written article which appeared to put in Parliament words that were actually derived from a Spectator editorial:

At the same time, Phillips’ curve met with great success in policy circles ... In 1967 ... The Labour Party Chancellor Mr Jim Callaghan presented a budget designed to maintain unemployment 2 1/4% according to ‘Professor Frank Paish of the LSE ... [and] the original begetter of the theory: Professor A.W. Phillips, also of London University’.

According to that Spectator editorial 'Put not thy trust in Paish':

For although Paishism has been assured of a respectful hearing in Whitehall for many years now, and indeed provided the main inspiration of Mr Selwyn Lloyd's policies, Mr Callaghan became on Tuesday the first Chancellor to embrace the Paish doctrine explicitly and without reservation.

Had Paish's version of the Phillips curve not been given 'a respectful hearing in Whitehall for many years now'?

Graeme Dorrance told me that Paish (deputy director of programmes at the wartime Ministry of Aircraft Production and a Liberal party adviser) promoted the Phillips curve in Whitehall before there was a Phillips curve.

Paish promoted the naïve trade-off interpretation that was antithetical to Phillips' stabilisation intentions:

if it were found that wages were still rising too fast with unemployment above 21 per cent, restriction of demand [increasing unemployment] . . . would have to be continued to a higher level.

The Taylor rule is derived from Phillips’ original work:

Koenig, E., Leeson, R. and Kahn, G. 2012. Eds. The Taylor Rule and Transformation of Monetary Policy. Hoover Press: Stanford, California.

http://archive.spectator.co.uk/article/14th-april-1967/2/put-not-thy-trust-in-paish