That is right, and I think you will find some information on the origins of the report in the minutes of the AEA Committee(s) that are published in the AER Papers and Proceedings. I think this is the source for my once writing that it arose out of a report on undergraduate education, published in 1950. The Bowen report was funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, and there should be information in their archives. There are also the AEA archives at Duke, though I have no idea what is in either.

Roger