From: Mark Twain Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alan Kitty
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 12:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Boycott by International scholars???

Forgive me for steering this back into a Forum-related direction, but a = Twain=E2=80=99s-eye view of the dangers posed by any POTUS suspected of = being in contempt of the US Constitution seems, in the opinion of this = Centrist (and former Reagan) Democrat, a worthy discussion for this = Forum, whether the Twain-lover comes from America or Mars. Twain was a = citizen of the world, and the world welcomed him and his opinions. Let = us strive to do no less. Make no mistake, the greatest moving forces of = all species is FEAR. Love and Hate are its escorts. And Faith, in the = hands of the wrong leader, can be used to bury truth. So I=E2=80=99m not = about to 'grow up' and give any employee free reign until its too late = to stop him from destroying my company. Twain did that with Webster, and = what was his reward? Bankruptcy; and an unwanted tour to many countries = where he expressed his opinions without being a citizen.=20

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>=20
> If people outside our country want a say in how we do things, they =
have a
> simple solution: Become an American citizen. Until/unless they do =
that,
> their opinions about America and/or about how we do things and/or what
> =
we
> do don't a damned thing to me. . .or, I'd bet, to any American who can
> think half-way logically. I suspect that what I'm saying here will =
offend
> any number of Hard-Left colleagues in this Forum. For the record, I =
didn't
> vote for Trump. I wouldn't be caught dead voting for Trump. But, like
> =
it or
> not, he's the POTUS now, and everyone wetting their pants and throwing
>hissy-fits just needs to grow up and get over it.
>=20
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>=20
>> Folks, I thought some of you might like to see this, especially as =
the
>> deadline for August's MT conference in Elmira looms.
>>=20
>> Personally I would strongly encourage our beloved overseas scholars =
>> submit and to come to Elmira in August.  I can tell you that for me,
>> =
having
>> our wonderful overseas guests come and participate means a lot, and =
is
>> always one of the highlights of the conference.  The "International"
>> =
part
>> of the conference title is important to us all.  PLEASE COME, and =
fear
>> not:
>>=20
>> https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/01/31/protest-
>> trump-entry-ban-some-scholars-are-boycotting-us-based-
>> conferences?goal=3D0_1fcbc04421-0f5839dc04-197446313&mc_cid=3D
>> 0f5839dc04&mc_eid=3D58f0af41d7
>>=20
>> We all can see these are strange times in America;  but PLEASE COME,
>>=
and