Health disparities between visible minorities and the non-visible
minorities is nothing new in Canada. Despite our "Multicultural" rhetoric
and "Diversity Claims", people of colour are hugely under-represented in
the paid, secure and progressive labor force. And this includes 2nd and 3rd
generation racialized immigrants, African-Canadians and Indigenous groups.
What is needed, in addition to all the wonderful things are were proposed,
there needs to be a revoking of the explicit and implicit system of racism
and exclusion in our society including the hiring practices (remember
"Ethnic names are 4X less likely to get called for a job interview than
white sounding names ref;
*https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/how-an-ethnic-sounding-name-may-affect-the-job-hunt/article555082/
<https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/how-an-ethnic-sounding-name-may-affect-the-job-hunt/article555082/>*),
housing practices -many landlords are hesitant or refuse to rent out to
some people of colour.

If we can actually practice what we preach and be an inclusive society,
accepting of differences-dare I say Celebrate them too, then perhaps we'll
see some of these inequalities and inequities stalled if not reversed.

'How can you get to the doctor's appointment, if you can't afford the TTC
fare?'.

Ngozi

--
Ngozi Iroanyah