---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tim Ellis - Leadnow.ca <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM
Subject: “A cruel, misguided breach of trust”
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Elaine,

Doug Ford’s PCs just announced plans to slash Ontario’s basic income program -- a cruel cut that will leave thousands of Ontarians struggling to feed their families and pay their rent.

And as if that’s not bad enough, the PCs explicitly promised not to end the program during the campaign. Now we know they were lying.

But it’s not too late to stop the cuts. No legislation has yet been offered and it looks like they’re testing the waters to see what kind of backlash they’ll face. A massive show of public outrage could convince them not to destroy our basic income program.

Already more than 1,500 people have signed a petition started on Leadnow’s petition site by Jodi, an Ontario mother who relies on the basic income program to support her daughter. If we can make Jodi’s petition huge it could be what it takes to save the basic income program.

But we have to act fast. Will you add your name now?

Elaine, the stories from the first year of basic income speak for themselves. Margie Gould, suffering from debilitating arthritis, was finally able to buy a new walker. Wendy Moore had been homeless for two years and was finally able to get an apartment. [3] Basic income was working.

Now Doug Ford is planning to rip that all away. Experts are already anticipating a spike in suicides.

But pressure is mounting. Conservative leaders and voters are speaking out against this move, and the Tories are being hammered in the press for cruelty and breaking their promise.

A huge outpouring of outrage over their betrayal while the media spotlight is focused on this issue could force them to backtrack and restore this program. Add your name now to save basic income.

Doug Ford thinks he can overwhelm you with outrage after outrage. He thinks he can divide people and turn us against each other. He thinks Ontario is his to do with as he pleases.

But Doug Ford is underestimating you.

This is our Ontario, and in our Ontario, we don’t leave anybody behind. Where Doug sees problems, we see people. And wherever Doug attacks, we’ll rise up to defend.

Don’t let him get away with this. Show Doug Ford how badly he’s underestimated our determination to fight for what’s right - add your name now to save basic income.

https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/save-the-basic-income-pilot?source=LN&bucket=LN

Together we rise,

- Tim and Jolan, on behalf of everyone at Leadnow

SOURCES:
[1] http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/hugh-segal-basic-income-scrapped-1.4770050
[2] https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-globe-editorial-cancellation-of-ontarios-basic-income-project-is/
[3] https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/02/24/from-barely-surviving-to-thriving-ontario-basic-income-recipients-report-less-stress-better-health.html

Leadnow doesn't take handouts from corporations or political parties. Everything we achieve together is only possible because of ordinary people like you chipping in what they can. Please will you consider donating a few bucks a week to Leadnow? Click here to set up a secure donation: http://www.leadnow.ca/donate

Leadnow n'accepte aucune aide financière de la part de corporations ou de partis politiques. Tout ce que nous réalisons ensemble est le fruit du travail de gens normaux, comme vous, qui donnent ce qu'ils peuvent. Pourriez-vous donner quelques dollars par semaine à Leadnow? Cliquez ici pour faire un don sur un site sécurisé : http://www.leadnow.ca/donate

Leadnow.ca is an independent campaigning community that brings Canadians together to hold government accountable, deepen our democracy and take action for the common good. You can follow us on TwitterFacebook and Google+. To contact us, you can reply to this email. This message was sent to [log in to unmask], because you previously signed on to a Leadnow.ca campaign. If you no longer want to be part of our campaigning community, you can [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">unsubscribe at any time

Leadnow.ca - À l’Action est une communauté indépendante qui souhaite réunir les Canadiens afin de demander des comptes au gouvernement, approfondir notre démocratie et passer à l’action pour le bien commun. Suivre sur TwitterFacebook, et Google+. Ce courriel a été envoyé au [log in to unmask]. Vous pouvez vous [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">désinscrire à tout moment.

Leadnow.ca, PO Box 2091, Stn Terminal, Vancouver, BC, V6B 3T2 — 1‑855‑LEADN0W | 1‑855‑532‑3609

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Unsubscribe