Hi Kathryn,

We use Frame Discreet, https://www.framediscreet.com/home/, here in Toronto. They do great work and are our go-to film transfer vendor. They have a tension driven scanner that is gentle on film. The one of the many issues with older films is shrinkage and scanners that are sprocket driven pose serious risk of potentially damaging films. As films shrink, the distance between the perforations changes, therefore becoming misaligned with the advancement mechanism of these types of scanners. Frame Discreet also has the staff that can give your film a bit of attention before the scanning process, but full disclosure - if they come across any issues that they can not handle, they call me in for any archival conservation work that might need to done before hand.

Please feel free to contract me if you have any other questions about your films.

Best,
Christina Stewart

Christina Stewart | Assistant Media Archivist | 416-978-4601 | [log in to unmask]

Media Commons Archives | University of Toronto Libraries | 130 St. George Street | Toronto  ON  M5S 1A5