Tingsten speaks of “truth” as if it consists only of “facts.” This seems like begging the question.

Hayek’s proposal that the MPS be named the Acton-Tocqueville(-Burckhardt) Society is relevant here, as it would have invited discussion not just of history, but of these three particular historians. They certainly did not shy away from passing judgment, or from discussing the topic of judgment and history.

With this context in mind, we can guess that Antoni criticized the positivist trend in historical writing in the early twentieth century that largely displaced the “moral” approach of Victorian authors.

Perhaps Antoni argued that the playing field of history had been ceded to relativists and immoralists who then filled the vacuum in the discourse, thereby facilitating the corruption of the public and laying the groundwork for the rise of regressive ideologies. Cassirer (_The Myth of the State_, 1946) proposed a similar theory regarding the decline of rationalism in philosophy. This kind of argument also bears some resemblance to Hayek’s complaints about the baleful effects of historicism in economics and behaviorism in psychology.

Jack Bladel