Sraffa certainly influenced philosophy through his connection with Wittgenstein. The fact that Production of Commodities is not standard fare for graduate economics is more of an indictment against our discipline than it is of Sraffa and his still fully untapped contributions in my view.

Scott Carter
University of Tulsa

________________________________
From: Societies for the History of Economics <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jarus K Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2021 1:15:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SHOE] [EXTERNAL] Re: [SHOE] Wittgenstein among the econs

Uh-oh!

Memory, apparently didn't serve.  I might be the character in the joke that Varian told in his snarky review of Mirowski.  He is taking an ink-blot test with an analyst. Each description of what he sees is more obscene than the next. Finally the analyst says "you seem to be obsessed with sex."  "Me?!," he says, "you're the one who keeps showing me the filthy pictures." (IMS)

I actually always found this anecdote (whatever the gesture) highly implausible . But I think I wanted it to be true during a period of my life where I idolized Sraffa. (Don't get me wrong, I still think he was a great economist, and I am one of what I am sure is a small group who still teaches Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities --in a History of Thought course, when I teach Ricardo and Marx)--but the idea that beyond his economic achievements, he also single-handedly changed the course of philosophy ? --unlikely.