Hello AAO community,

In general, the AAOLIST has been an uncomplicated forum for AAO members and non-members to share information relating the archival and information professions. It has been hosted (for free) for many years courtesy of my institution, York University. I'm a writing to you as a community member and AAOLIST administrator to remind everyone that thoughtful and respectful posting to this list is a privilege and not a right. While the AAO Code of Conduct includes AAOLIST, I think we have seen that the recent posts by Alexander Babin, while not necessarily code-breaking in themselves, have constituted a form of trolling that is harmful to many of our community members. The AAO Board is currently revising the AAO Code of Conduct to provide more fulsome guidance for what communication is acceptable on AAO platforms. However, in the interim, please be advised that Alexander Babin has had his posting privileges revoked as of today.

For anyone who sees this step as an infringement on free speech, you are welcome to post your opinions on the many other online platforms available. The AAOLIST is not a forum on which we will tolerate 'debate' on subjects such as the genocide of indigenous peoples.

Best,
Jennifer Grant