---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rahim Thawer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu., Jan. 27, 2022, 7:00 p.m.
Subject: Sexuality and the Imprint of Shame: What Queer Guys (and Their
Therapists) Need to Know — Part 2/3
To: <[log in to unmask]>

[image: Rahim Thawer]Rahim Thawer
<https:[log in to unmask]>
  ·  5 min read  ·  View on Medium
<https://medium.com/p/sexuality-and-the-imprint-of-shame-what-queer-guys-and-their-therapists-need-to-know-part-2-3-1fc8ea08520e?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
Sexuality and the Imprint of Shame: What Queer Guys (and Their Therapists)
Need to Know — Part 2/3

PART TWO — DEFENSES AGAINST SHAME

We encounter shame in a number of social contexts, particularly around
sexuality and sexual identity. In our culture, we believe we can “undo”
shame in several ways: coming out, forming relationships, seeking and
receiving validation, having sex, and/or (re)claiming our autonomy. We take
steps that symbolize autonomy and independence; by doing so, we think we’ve
undone a legacy of shame, and have become more of the person we aspire to
be. But I would argue that shame leaves an imprint and its residue stays
with us.

The question is, how do we protect ourselves? What are our defenses against
shame? In his book[i]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__edn1?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>,
Dr. Donald L. Nathanson (1992) introduced the “Compass of Shame” —
subsequently validated by other researchers[ii]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__edn2?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
— which is a tool that enables us to manage shame by understanding how it
causes us to alternatively punish ourselves, attack others, withdraw, or
engage in shame-avoidance (i.e., points on the compass).

Psychoanalyst Nancy McWilliams[iii]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__edn3?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
discusses the role of defenses in coping with difficult emotions or trauma:

The phenomena that we refer to as defenses have many benign functions. They
begin as healthy, creative adaptations, and they continue to work
adaptively throughout life. […] The person using a defense is generally
trying unconsciously to accomplish one or both of the following: (1) the
avoidance or management of some powerful, threatening feeling, usually
anxiety but sometimes overwhelming grief, shame, envy […] and (2) the
maintenance of self-esteem.

*Defenses and Queer Men*

When we punish or attack ourselves, what does that specifically look like
in queer men’s communities? Sometimes, this kind of defensive strategy
expresses itself through significant HIV and STI anxiety, even when we
objectively experience low to no risk of infection or develop any
significant symptoms. The shame makes you think you need to be punishing
yourself, and fear of HIV/STIs feels like a perfect excuse. If you feel bad
about having causal sex because the world has told you that it’s
irresponsible, or that it’s something you do en route to monogamy and
“settling down” with the “right” partner, then you’re going to feel bad. If
you feel bad about casual sex and you leap into self-punishment, that will
take away from an opportunity to work through the unwarranted shame. Sex is
not the problem.

It’s normative in queer men’s spaces to experience heightened body
consciousness. It’s also common to experience daily rejection on hookup
apps. This will also activate shame. Sometimes, we punish or attack
ourselves by saying, “I’m not good enough” or “I’m bad at love” (to quote
Halsley). We may say we’re not attractive, or that we need to do better, we
need to look better, or we need to change who we are. Yet changing who you
are is an attack on yourself, on your physical body. Dr. Margaret Paul
talks about the connection between shame and our attachment to control.[iv]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__edn4?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
She suggests that shame can be so overwhelming that if we can somehow take
responsibility for that shame, make it our own problem, then at least we
have some control over it. We convince ourselves that we can prevent
feeling rejected — by sculpting our bodies or minimizing our own emotions —
if we locate the problem of a harsh environment within ourselves.

We might punish or attack others — that’s another way to deal with shame.
How do we attack each other in our community? Sometimes we reduce gay men
to only wanting sex, as though it’s a bad thing. We say it in a derogatory
way, “that’s all they want, that’s all they know, that’s all they
understand.” What we’re actually upset about is all the difficult feelings
that come up when we try to participate in the very sexualized culture
we’re criticizing. Our community also attacks in the form of femme, fat,
and drug shaming. We’re overcome with shame when we think about people
seeing us as any of these labels and so we project this anxiety onto others
and convey it with a tinge of disgust.

Withdrawal represents another defense against shame. Sometimes, one person
in a romantic relationship will say, “we just have different libidos,” or
“I’m not that sexual a person.” Sometimes that’s true, a portion of the
time that’s a dirty lie. Desire discrepancy and hyposexual arousal problems
are real. But, in many instances, our bodies have partially shut down so
that we can continue to participate in romantic relationships in a way that
takes the pressure off. Then, we don’t have to have all these difficult
relationship conversations about pleasure, jealousy, and inadequacy that
activate our shame. What we frequently call social anxiety may, in fact, be
a form of withdrawal protecting us from re-experiencing shame.

For many people, a shame avoidance defense looks like becoming a
workaholic. After all, no one can suggest you’re not enough when you’re
always working. For queer men, I would argue that our proportionately high
rates of drug and alcohol abuse and our focus on gym culture are unique
ways that shame-avoidance manifests. We don’t ever want to feel left out,
overlooked, or rejected. In the context of body sculpting and gym selfies,
shame avoidance can begin to look to others like narcissism.

Don’t get me wrong: narcissism is not a dirty word. Rather, narcissism is
about our fear of being erased, of being decentered. It’s that part of your
psyche that gets activated when you feel like you’ve been overlooked and
decide you need to do something to intervene. As a result, people may
experience you as a “big personality” or “obnoxiously confident,” but
actually what is happening is that the part of you that has struggled with
shame for so long has been activated, and you’re now subconsciously
protecting yourself by taking up social space and fighting back with a bit
of grandiosity.

*Next: Part Three — Processing Shame.*

*Endnotes*

[i]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__ednref1?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
Nathanson, D. L. (1992). *Shame and pride: Affect, sex, and the birth of
the self*. W.W. Norton & Company.

[ii]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__ednref2?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
Elison, J., Lennon, R., & Pulos, S. (2006). Investigating the compass of
shame: The development of the compass of shame scale. *Social Behavior and
Personality: An International Journal*, 34(3), 221–238.
https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2006.34.3.221.
<http://me.dm/r-eH7V6enDvJ?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>

[iii]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__ednref3?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
McWilliams, N. (2011). Chapter 5: Primary Defensive Processes. In
*Psychoanalytic
Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process*
(2nd ed., pp. 100–125).

[iv]
<#m_-8912812962778649990__ednref4?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
Paul, P. M. (2011, October 06). Why We Feel Shame and How to Conquer It.
Retrieved June 18, 2017, from
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margaret-paul-phd/dealing-with-shame_b_994991.html
<http://me.dm/r-1_0zTDIepH?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
.

affectiveconsult.ca
Respond on Medium
<https:[log in to unmask]&responsesOpen=true>
View story
<https://medium.com/p/sexuality-and-the-imprint-of-shame-what-queer-guys-and-their-therapists-need-to-know-part-2-3-1fc8ea08520e?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
Sent to [log in to unmask] by Rahim Thawer on Medium
<https://medium.com/?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
Unsubscribe
<https://medium.com/me/email-settings/c943fa4c1aea/b130e2cdf656?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452&type=required&newsletterId=93073f3c7052&newsletterV3Id=597929d6d452>
from this writer’s Medium emails

P.O. Box 602, San Francisco, CA 94104-0602
Careers
<https://medium.com/jobs-at-medium/work-at-medium-959d1a85284e?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1643302522235-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------952ffdb1_385b_4737_bd18_6522cff04ba2--------597929d6d452>
· Help center <https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us> · Privacy policy
<https://policy.medium.com/medium-privacy-policy-f03bf92035c9> · Terms of
service <https://policy.medium.com/medium-terms-of-service-9db0094a1e0f>