From: Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Claudia Chaufan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: January 29, 2022 3:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SDOH] Vaccines don't work

To the point of the Guardian, it is people, not rates, that occupy beds at hospitals. Even if only one person in the UK or in Canada remained unvaccinated and ended up hospitalized or dead (100% rate of hospitalization/death for the unvaxxinated), could you really say that that one person is ‘clogging the hospitals”?

Health services experts know well that about 20% of the population consumes about 80% of health services. This is a feature of populations – in any population there will always be people who are older, have ‘bad’ behaviours so end up sicker (or are seen as having them depending on the politics of the times), or are sicker for whatever reason, and so on.

But I would think that most people in this forum do not go around moralizing about health behaviours, whether it is failing to eat healthfully, exercising, and losing weight, or to stop smoking, drinking, etc., however good these behaviours may be to increase several times your chances of not dying – to classify your patients between deserving and undeserving and refuse them care. In bioethics this issue has been settled a long time ago with the case of smokers.

More to the point, the ‘unvaxxed’ clogging hospitals? Not in Canada or the UK. The attached pictures from Public Health Ontario clearly show that most ICU beds are not-covid (57% vs. 21%) and that 27% of ICU beds are empty.  And since Omicron, both case counts and rates have gone through the roof, apparently much more so among the double (or triple) vaxxed. There are a few interesting hypotheses out there that allude to how our complex immune system works.

In the UK (p. 43, 44 and 45 in the latest report), most cases, hospitalizations and deaths are ocuring among vaccinated patients (some even triple vaxxed).   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports

Finally, if both vaxxed and unvaxxed have roughly equal viral loads and can transmit the virus equally (Secondary Attack Rates among vaccinated 25%, unvaxxinated 23%, so lower capacity to trasmit, the Lancet Infectious Diseases<https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00648-4/fulltext>), in other way, you cannot separate ‘us’ from ‘them’ with vaccination, what is the public health rationale for mandates?

Let me set aside for now the issue of NNT and NNV (Numbers Needed to Treat and Numbers Needed to Vaccinate), basic but very important epidemiological concepts when it comes to assessing the benefits and harms of any medical intervention, whether covid vaccines or Lipitor for your blood cholesterol (tip: the estimated NNV for covid vaccines is over 1,000, not promising to say the least). I have information to share if anybody is interested but I suspect there are epidemiologists in this forum much more apt than me to discuss this topic.

Claudia Chaufan, MD, PhD
Associate Professor, Health Policy & Global Health
Special Advisor to the Dean of Health in Curriculum Internationalization
School of Health Policy and Management<https://www.yorku.ca/health/shpm/>

Graduate Program in Health<https://health.gradstudies.yorku.ca/>
Global Health<https://www.yorku.ca/health/globalhealth/>
Development Studies<https://dvst.gradstudies.yorku.ca/>
Social and Political Thought<https://spth.gradstudies.yorku.ca/>

York University, Canada

https://shpm.info.yorku.ca/claudia-chaufan-new-faculty-profile/<https://health.yorku.ca/health-profiles/index.php?dept=&mid=1386877>

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.”
¯ Richard P. Feynman