Sent: Monday, February 7, 2022 8:52 AM
Subject: Calumet and Stong Colleges' Upcoming Events - Week of February 7, 2022 & Looking Ahead

While we are practicing social distancing physically we do not want you to distance yourself from us virtually.  Take this opportunity to join our Instagram and Facebook pages and connect with us on LinkedIn.  Our team is exploring different ways we can support you online.  If you have any questions and/or ideas about how we can support you online please email [log in to unmask]

Stay Connected with Calumet!

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_37" alt="Instagram logo" style="width:.7416in; height:.7416in" width="71" height="71" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image006.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">               [log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_35" alt="Facebook logo" style="width:.7166in; height:.7166in" width="69" height="69" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image009.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">               [log in to unmask]" id="x__x0000_i1059" alt="Website icon" style="width:.7in; height:.7in" width="67" height="67" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image011.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">                [log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_25" alt="LinkedIn logo" style="width:.875in; height:.7416in" width="84" height="71" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image013.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">

Stay Connected with Stong!

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_68" alt="Instagram logo" style="width:.7416in; height:.7416in" width="71" height="71" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image006.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">               [log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_69" alt="Facebook logo" style="width:.7166in; height:.7166in" width="69" height="69" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image009.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">               [log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_70" alt="Website icon" style="width:.7in; height:.7in" width="67" height="67" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image011.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">                [log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_71" alt="LinkedIn logo" style="width:.875in; height:.7416in" width="84" height="71" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image013.png@01D7817A.391D8C70">

Calumet and Stong Colleges (CCSC) support York University's statements about standing together to fight anti-Black racism.

CCSC are committed to inspiring learning, leadership and citizenship and value mentorship and being student centric, engaged, collaborative, and bold.

The success of our students depends on our collective willingness and ability to listen, to be kind, to look after ourselves and each other, to work together, and to lead with Respect, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We do not condone or tolerate racism, prejudice or discrimination in CCSC. We are committed to supporting our CCSC Peer Leaders and Student Organizations and our York and CCSC community to stop anti-Black racism and systemic discrimination of all kinds. We will also collaborate with others to strengthen our student success programming to help our Colleges and students foster a just and fair world.  For more information and to connect with us, email [log in to unmask] or visit our website https://ccscss.info.yorku.ca/online-student-support/

Student Community & Leadership Development (SCLD) Anti-Racist Resources

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_87" alt="We Stand With You Calumet and Stong Colleges (CCSC) support York University's statements about standing together to fight anti-Black racism. White lettering on a black back ground." style="width:4.8083in; height:4.8083in" width="462" height="462" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image001.png@01D719A3.B0EC9FA0">

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_138" alt="BLACK LIVES MATTER Black lettering on a white background." style="width:4.8083in; height:6.4in" width="462" height="614" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image002.jpg@01D719A3.B0EC9FA0">

CCSC Celebrates Black History Month

Join Calumet and Stong Colleges as we celebrate Black achievement and recognize people and organizations creating change.

https://www.yorku.ca/colleges/ccsc/calumet-stong-colleges-celebrate-black-history-month/

We have compiled an exciting list of activities for the CCSC community to recognize and celebrate Black History Month. Make sure to regularly check the website for updates!

Throughout February also make sure to check out https://www.yorku.ca/about/blackhistorymonth/ and York's social media channels.

You can also join the conversation with #BHMatYU and #BlackHistoryMonth.

Black History Month Blog

Tell us your thoughts on Black History Month. We encourage you to write or submit artwork or photographs and we will post to our BHM Blog. Submit your blog post here.

BHM Reading and Viewing Lists

BHM Reading and Viewing Lists

Tell us what you are reading and watching to recognize and celebrate Black History Month and we will share your choices in our BHM Reading and Viewing lists.

Tell us what you are reading here.

Tell us what you are watching here.

[log in to unmask]" id="x__x0000_i1051" style="width:5.0416in; height:2.5166in" width="484" height="242" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image026.png@01D81B92.9C7B96B0">

Celebrate while we educate #CWWE – February 7 – 11, 2022

Happy Black History month!

In honor of BHM this year, your YorkU Black Student Association (BSA) in collaboration with SCLD has brought back Celebrate While We Educate #CWWE, to celebrate Black culture at York University. This will be a week-long series of both celebration and education events, concluding with a chance for you to participate in a panel discussion with your YorkU Black Student Associations.

Celebrate While We Educate begins this week, from February 7th concluding on February 11th.

Head to our Instagram pages for more information and find registration links for each event

BSMP : @bsmp.yorku

 #CWWE

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_30" alt="CELEBRATE WHILE WE EDUCATE #CWWE – February 7 – 11, 2022 Happy Black History month! In honor of BHM this year, your YorkU Black Student Association (BSA) in collaboration with SCLD has brought back Celebrate While We Educate #CWWE, to celebrate Black culture at York University. This will be a week-long series of both celebration and education events, concluding with a chance for you to participate in a panel discussion with your YorkU Black Student Associations. Celebrate While We Educate begins this week, from February 7th concluding on February 11th. Head to our Instagram pages for more information and find registration links for each event BSMP : @bsmp.yorku #CWWE " style="width:4.7833in; height:4.7833in" width="459" height="459" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image003.png@01D81B94.C0DD2DA0">

Black History wikipedia Edit-a-thon kick off event – Monday, February 7, 2022 from 1:00pm-2:30pm

Representation matters: not just on our screens, but in the information and data we share. This February, join your library in celebrating Black History Month by improving coverage of Black histories on Wikipedia—and new this year, Wikidata! No prior editing experience is required.

Join us Feb 7, 1–2:30 pm ET for a kick-off event featuring these speakers:

  • Moderator: Mark Campbell, assistant professor of music and culture (U of T Scarborough)
  • Cheryl Thompson, assistant professor of creative industries (X University)
  • Collette “Coco” Murray, PhD candidate and African/Caribbean arts-based educator (York University)

Register for the kick-off event.

Every Friday in February, join your library for facilitated editing sessions on Zoom: you can learn the basics or get a refresher on editing Wikipedia and Wikidata, then learn and write alongside others who are passionate about improving digital coverage of Black histories and experiences. Register for the weekly editing sessions.

You can also join the event and edit at your own pace throughout the month. For full details, visit the Black History Edit-a-thon event page.

This event is organized by U of T Libraries, York University Libraries, X University Library, and Toronto Public Library. We look forward to seeing you!

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_29" alt="BLACK HISTORY WIKIPEDIA EDIT-A-THON KICK OFF EVENT – Monday, February 7, 2022 from 1:00pm-2:30pm Representation matters: not just on our screens, but in the information and data we share. This February, join your library in celebrating Black History Month by improving coverage of Black histories on Wikipedia—and new this year, Wikidata! No prior editing experience is required. Join us Feb 7, 1–2:30 pm ET for a kick-off event featuring these speakers: • Moderator: Mark Campbell, assistant professor of music and culture (U of T Scarborough) • Cheryl Thompson, assistant professor of creative industries (X University) • Collette “Coco” Murray, PhD candidate and African/Caribbean arts-based educator (York University) Register for the kick-off event. Every Friday in February, join your library for facilitated editing sessions on Zoom: you can learn the basics or get a refresher on editing Wikipedia and Wikidata, then learn and write alongside others who are passionate about improving digital coverage of Black histories and experiences. Register for the weekly editing sessions. You can also join the event and edit at your own pace throughout the month. For full details, visit the Black History Edit-a-thon event page. This event is organized by U of T Libraries, York University Libraries, X University Library, and Toronto Public Library. We look forward to seeing you! " style="width:5.05in; height:2.5166in" width="485" height="242" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image005.png@01D81633.0F42F860">

WELLNESS STUDY NIGHT – Tuesday, February 8, 2022 from 6:00pm-8:30pm

Join us for a wellness-orientated study night! We will be practicing The Pomodoro Technique. This involves studying for 25 minutes and taking a short break for 5 minutes. Once this is repeated three times, a longer 15 minute break is taken! This time-management tool help you stay focused, and motivated which will help you accomplish your academic goals! We will also be practicing a few wellness activities during the session to help you relax and de-stress!

[log in to unmask]" id="x_Picture_x0020_28" style="width:4.7833in; height:6.375in" width="459" height="612" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image025.png@01D81B9C.8F938ED0">

Please RSVP: https://tinyurl.com/WellnessStudyNight

Date: February 8, 2021

Time: 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM

SPEED PAINTING WORKSHOP - Wednesday, February 9, 2022 from 6:00pm- 7:00pm EST

Facilitators: Joey Si and Simran Bouns

Date & Time: Wed, Feb. 9 @ 6:00pm - 7:00pm

Zoom Meeting ID: 982 3994 3874

Zoom Meeting Password: Register at link below for meeting password. Password is emailed 1 hour before start time.

Registration Link: https://tinyurl.com/CEWPaint0209

During this session you will learn how to make a fun easy painting! Speed Painting is a calm and easy way to learn the methods for making a painting. Painting is a fun way to express yourself artistically. In this workshop, we’ll learn how to make a landscape painting of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Take a break, decompress and partake in this self-care-oriented workshop!

To participate in this workshop, participants will need to have the following items:

· Paint (Black, White, Red, Blue and Yellow)

· Canvas or Paper (any size)

· Cup of water

· Brushes (Small pointed brush, Medium and big flat brush, and Medium angle brush)

· Tissues

[log in to unmask]" id="x__x0000_i1047" style="width:4.7833in; height:4.7833in" width="459" height="459" border="0" data-outlook-trace="F:1|T:1" src="cid:image031.jpg@01D81B9F.C69679D0">

Library Workshop: Finding newspaper articles – Thursday, February 10, 2022 from 12:00pm-1:30pm

This workshop will help you navigate the surprisingly complicated world of searching for newspaper articles. Join us and learn about powerful newspaper databases and the tips and tricks you need to navigate them!