Hi everyone,

My name is Madeleine Bognar, and I am the Archivist at OCAD University. I am looking for some information on content management systems and archival databases. I am inquiring as a person with less than spectacular computer technology knowledge. I am interested in:

  1. What database do you use?
  2. How much does it cost; this includes for hosting fees?
  3. How much IT support is necessary to get the program installed? This is especially a consideration for open-source options.
  4. How much IT support do you have to support your CMS running day to day?

My main concern is this: choosing open-source software seems like a good option and I know many institutions use them. However, I don’t know that I have the IT skills to install and keep up the program. We may have some IT support, but our IT is for the whole university and not just specific to the library and archives so I may not be able to rely on it. I am interested in programs like ArchiveEra but I understand that there are costs involved. If anyone has insight into whether these costs are worthwhile, or any insights to share, I would be extremely grateful to hear them. Thanks very much for your time and consideration!

Best,

Madeleine

signature_1486098567

MADELEINE BOGNAR, MA, MI(she/her/elle)
Archivist

University Archives

416-977-6000 ext.273

OCAD UNIVERSITY OCADU.CA

100 McCaul St.

Toronto, Ontario
M5T 1W1

signature_1819631097signature_1377666756signature_438586298