Dear colleagues,

We are writing today to urge your action on a critical and time-sensitive
matter. Access to healthcare for uninsured people in Ontario is under
threat of facing drastic cuts. In March 2020, in response to community
advocacy, the Ford government temporarily expanded access to care for
uninsured people, by: (1) removing the three-month waiting period for OHIP
which affects new immigrants, new permanent residents, and returning
Canadian citizens; and, (2) creating a new funding stream for physicians
and hospitals for providing medically necessary services to uninsured
people (OHIP Bulletin 4749).

These changes have significantly improved healthcare access and health
outcomes of uninsured people living in Ontario. In the past, we know that
denial of care and delays in seeking care, resulting in complications and
even death, were not uncommon. We have reason to believe the Ford
government may be looking to imminently roll these changes back. Today, we
ask you to sign the below-linked open letter to urge the Ontario government to
implement a permanent program to ensure universal access to healthcare
services, independent of insurance status.

Open letter - <https://forms.gle/xUQk6M1aJbHJJimv9>
https://forms.gle/R9dvxPjHUNgY8k868

If you are part of the Ontario healthcare and health community, please sign
individually, and also let us know if you know of any Ontario based
organizations who may be willing to sign on. We are collecting signatories
until Tuesday, July 26th.

Please circulate this open letter privately via email for sign-ons from
additional members of the Ontario health community (clinicians,
researchers, health policy workers, health students, harm reduction
workers) and Ontario community organizations. At this time, we ask that you
refrain from sharing this letter publicly on any website or social media
platforms - we will request public sharing when the letter is officially
launched.

If you have any questions, please contact us at
[log in to unmask] We greatly appreciate your support and
hope to hear back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Ritika, Healthcare for All Coalition

--