Dear colleagues,

I'm pleased to share PROOF's new report on household food insecurity in Canada<https://proof.utoronto.ca/resource/household-food-insecurity-in-canada-2021/>.

Following the inclusion of food insecurity as an indicator for Canada’s Poverty Reduction Strategy in 2018, the Statistics Canada began annual monitoring of household food insecurity through the Canadian Income Survey (CIS). Our new report draws on this data collected in 2019, 2020, and 2021 to present a portrait of household food insecurity in Canada leading into this period of unprecedented inflation, who is most affected, how food insecurity rates differ across the country, and how they have changed over these years.

In 2021, 15.9% of households in the ten provinces experienced some level of food insecurity in the previous 12 months. That amounts to 5.8 million people, including almost 1.4 million children under the age of 18, living in food-insecure households. Especially concerning is the fact that over a quarter of food-insecure households were severely food-insecure, amounting to 1.3 million Canadians living in households experiencing absolute food deprivation.

The high rate of food insecurity is not new; the rate was high before the pandemic and has persisted because not enough has been done to address it. With the record levels of inflation, we can expect the prevalence and severity of food insecurity to worsen if the incomes of vulnerable households don’t keep up with the costs of essentials.

The persistently high rates of food insecurity are a shameful indictment of our approach to poverty alleviation. It’s time for Federal and Provincial Governments to pay attention to the rates of food insecurity in Canada and the large body of evidence showing that this problem can be addressed through policy interventions that improve the incomes of low-income households.

Please share widely.

Links:
Report: https://proof.utoronto.ca/resource/household-food-insecurity-in-canada-2021/
Blog post: https://proof.utoronto.ca/2022/new-report-finds-persistently-high-rates-of-food-insecurity-policy-action-on-inadequate-income-needed/
Video (2 min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS1hl736Ujo

[cid:30ad90e9-b447-4314-b4e6-e048f1f6c867]

*My apologies for the cross posting*

Best,
Tim
--