    JEL:E42 E58 G28 N10
    Date:2022–09
    URL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:nbb:reswpp:202209-413&r=
  2. By:Tom Coupé (University of Canterbury); W. Robert Reed (University of Canterbury)
    Abstract:This study examines the effect of negative replications on the citation rates of replicated studies. We study a set of 204 replicated studies in economics and compare their citation performance with an initial sample of 112,000 potential controls taken from Scopus. From this initial pool, we match each replicated study with multiple controls based on having comparable citation histories. Our main finding is that there is no evidence that studies that receive negative replications suffer a penalty in the form of fewer citations. We also find that replicated studies receive somewhat more citations than their matched control studies, though here the causal interpretation is more suspect.
    Keywords:Replications, Citations, Matching, Meta-science, Self-correcting science
    JEL:A11 A14 B41 C18