The History of Economics Society is pleased to announce a new call for submissions for the New Initiatives Fund program (deadline December 1).

Created in 2013, the New Initiatives Fund is one of the most recent instruments devised by the society to fulfill its institutional goals. The program supports projects that promise to benefit the larger community of historians of economics. These might involve creating opportunities to further interaction, disseminating knowledge and access to resources, engaging younger scholars, reaching out to broader audiences both within and outside of academia, and other endeavors that promote a public good for our community.

The title New Initiatives Fund signals our openness to creative, out-of-the-box proposals. Our purpose is to rely on the knowledge, experience and insight of our members to devise ways to promote and improve the field. Initiatives funded in the past have ranged from summer schools, through digital resources to a podcast series (see full list below).

Competition for funding is open to HES members only. The Society allocates a total of $35,000 per year in support of New Initiatives. Each proposal may request up to $10,000 in funding. The submissions received will be vetted by a New Initiatives Committee appointed by the HES President; recommendations of this committee are then voted on by the full Executive Committee. Applicants are encouraged to discuss the ways in which the project could have a lasting impact in the field and support the mission of HES, as specified above.

Multi-year initiatives will be viewed more favorably if they include plausible plans for developing independent sources of ongoing funding. Funding from the Society is not an ongoing commitment but may be renewed at the committee’s discretion.

Details on the submission process can be found on our website at:

https://historyofeconomics.org/about-the-society/new-initiatives/

--
Carlos Eduardo Suprinyak
Secretary, History of Economics Society