As someone who studies the economics of antitrust and, secondarily, the history of the economics of antitrust, I was surprised to see this statement presented as though pejorative:

> In my view, the historical economic work alluded to in its description reflects deeply "economistic" tendency to infer policy claims, imbued with a particular moral position, from economic premises. Here is a non sequitur ... unless one assumes moral consequentialist premises.

It seems rather that the debate is not over whether it’s suspect to present policy implications as though derived from economic premises, but rather, whose policy positions are presented as implied by whose premises.

Marshall Steinbaum