Hi everyone,

We've recently digitized quite a lot of video from VHS tapes and are getting many of those more easily accessible through online sharing.

Maybe it's not shocking that people putting together videos for events at a small university didn't often pay too much attention to use of copyrighted material. It hasn't caused too much trouble until someone was so bold as to set some footage of campus to the music of the Beatles. That clearly will never see the light of day on YouTube.

Because this was silent footage with music laid overtop, it was easy enough for me to strip off the music and repost the footage only. In the description I indicated that it previously had music, and the names of the artists & tracks.

However I can see this becoming an issue with more complex pieces of video. The more I edit an access copy, the more we lose content, context, and possibly artistic integrity.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? How are you addressing it?

Sara

P.S. we also have copyright claims on music played by floats during the video of a parade. So far that one's just a warning.