Dear SHOE list,

We are happy to provide additional details regarding the upcoming webinar series examining Reproductive Rights in Contemporary Economics and the History of Economic Thought hosted by the History of Economics Society and the University of Lyon.

We ask that those interested in attending any of the first four sessions to please register using the following google form. We will use the responses to disseminate the Zoom links. Another email and sign up will be sent in late February for the second four sessions of the series.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScZAL_XZiSgyskz8QJ41oDJSoBO7TDixsRt6FAifJMMkJtitw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Because of the diversity of times and time zones, we plan to record all webinars for which we receive permission. These will be made available via the HES website and YouTube channel.

Schedule of Webinars

January - May 2023

  1.  Marianne Johnson, Historian of Economics, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

Wicksell on Population and Procreation

Monday January 30 at 9am EST (GMT -05). 9am in New York; 15h in Lyon; 2pm in London; 1am (Tues) in Melbourne.

  1.  Miriam Bankovsky, Political Theorist and Historian of Economics, La Trobe University

Alfred Marshall weighs in on the Victorian Family Limitation Debates: Principles for Improved Living Standards and the Politics of “Voluntary Restraint”

Tuesday February 07 at 4am EST (GMT -05). 4am in New York; 10h in Lyon; 9am in London; 8pm in Melbourne.

  1.  Caitlin Myers, Economist, Middlebury College

From Roe to Dobbs: 50 years of Abortion Policy and the Economic Research that has Studied it

Wednesday February 15 at 1pm EST (GMT - 05) New York; 19h in Lyon; 6pm in London; 5am in Melbourne.

  1.  Mayra Pineda-Torres, Microeconomist, Georgia Institute of Technology

Legal Access to Reproductive Control Technology and Women’s Education: The Economic Impacts of Abortion Access

Friday February 24 at 8am EST (GMT - 05). 8am in New York; 14h in Lyon; 1pm in London; midnight in Melbourne.

  1.  Jemima Repo, Reader in Political and Feminist Theory, Newcastle University

The Multiple Legacies of Gary Becker’s Economics of Reproduction: Refiguring Reproduction and the Governance of Populations (A Discussion).

Thursday March 02 at 5am EST (GMT - 05). 5am in New York; 11h in Lyon; 10am in London; 9pm in Melbourne.

  1.  Edith Kuiper, Feminist Economist, State University of New York at New Paltz

Eugenics, Abortion, and Progressivism

Friday March 17 at 10am EST (GMT - 05), 16h in Lyon, 3pm in London; 2am in Melbourne.

  1.  Melanie Guldi, Economist, University of Central Florida

Legal Access to Abortion and Contraception in the United States in the 1960s and 1970s

Friday March 31 at 12:30pm EST (GMT -05). 12.30pm in New York; 18h in Lyon; 5pm in London; 3am (Sat) in Melbourne.

  1.  Cléo Chassonnery-Zaïgouche, Historian of Economics, University of Bologna

Emotion vs. Argument: Roy Harrod and Joan Robinson’s Controversy Over Abortion Rights

Wednesday, April 19 at 10am EST (GMT -05), 10am in New York; 16h in Lyon; 3pm in London; midnight (Thursday) in Melbourne.