Hi,

YorkU was the target of a phishing scam that solicited applications for a fictitious job opportunity as an Executive Personal Assistant. The email was sent from a compromised YorkU account. We investigated the incident and noted that you were sent a copy of the email.

We ask that you stop any communication with the scammer and remain vigilant about reviewing any SMS texts or emails sent to the email addresses you provided in the Google Form. The scammer will seek to get additional information such as bank account, account names and passwords, and ultimately include financial transfers. Their end goal is to defraud you.

The scammer's scheme is to send their victim a fraudulent cheque, request that the cheque is deposited, ask to buy gift cards or wire transfer some of the funds back to them. Since the cheque is fake, it will bounce after a few days, but the victim is still responsible for the wire transfer and any banking charges.

If you have been deceived into sending money, buy gift cards or do other transactions, report it immediately to your financial institution, to the local law enforcement and to the Canadian Anti-Fraud centre (https://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/report-signalez-eng.htm)

We posted a phish alert on our website - https://infosec.yorku.ca/2023/01/phishing-alert-job-scam-executive-personal-assistant/

If you receive similar messages in the future, report it immediately by clicking on the Report Phishing button or forward it to [log in to unmask].

If you have any questions, please email [log in to unmask]

Thank you.

Information Security Team  |  University Information Technology

York University  | 4700 Keele St., Toronto ON, M3J 1P3, Canada

[log in to unmask]  |  infosec.yorku.ca

Be Cyber Security Alert!  For up-to-date alerts on all security news and threats, follow us on our social media profiles.

Facebook / Instagram / Twitter