Some of you are, no doubt, aware of my interest in finding commonality
between Richard Francis Burton and Mark Twain. The closest I’ve come has
been to compare their respective journeys across North America; Burton
in 1860 and Sam Clemens in 1861. Other points include their interest in
the Arabian Nights and both men had visited Baalbek. An additional point
has recently come to my attention, that of friendship with Bram Stoker,
the author of “Dracula” and acting manager of the renowned actor Sir
Henry Irving.

Another book that Stoker wrote was “Personal Reminiscences of Henry
Irving”. It has an entire chapter regarding his introduction to and
conversations with Richard F. Burton. Some descriptions of Burton are
thought to point directly to descriptions of Count Dracula. Of
particular interest in regards to Burton’s character was an incident
that occurred during Burton’s pilgrimage to Mecca. Gribben’s volume 2 of
Literary Resources lists Burton’s “Personal Narrative of the Pilgrimage
to El-Medinah and Mecca” as being signed by Twain, no dates mentioned. I
would suggest that it was Stoker that suggested this book to Twain.

In regards to Count Dracula, it has been noted that there exists a
striking similarity between a remark made by Van Helsing, in the book,
and an entry from Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar (Following the
Equator, Chapter 12). Van Helsing says “I heard once of an American who
so defined faith: “that which enables us to believe things which we know
to be untrue.”” From the calendar “Faith is believing what you know
ain’t so.”

Mark Dawidziak gave a talk on Twain and Dracula during the fall portion
of the 2020-2021//The Trouble Begins //Lecture Series presented by the
Center for Mark Twain Studies. He speaks of this quotation but also
notes that Stoker was a frequent visitor with Twain during Twain’s
self-imposed exile at Tedworth Square, in London, England.

Other than recommending Burton’s book, I’m curious about any other
references to Burton that Stoker might have made to Twain, in
conversation or in letters. Letters of such late date are not available
as text from the Mark Twain Project but there are several referenced as
existing.

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/