The article is now written by the crowd.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2023 at 7:19 PM Steven Medema <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Nikos seems to have hit the nail on the head, to say nothing of having a better memory than individual who was editor the when Derobert’s article was published in JHET more than 20 years ago.

When Gary and Ross said, “Robbins,” I had a suspicion that Wicksteed might be the key. (Not to diminish Robbins, but he borrowed a lot, including from Wicksteed.) Derobert seems to suggest that Wicksteed was there with the basic theory in 1910. Whether it is that specific functional notation is another matter. Something else for me to look up when I get to the office on Monday!

Link to Derobert’s article here for those wanting a look: https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/70B237E5EA2DACA045206F226302A87E/S1053837200006878a.pdf/on-the-genesis-of-the-canonical-labor-supply-model.pdf

Steve

Steven G. Medema, PhD
George Family Research Professor of Economics
Associate Director, Center for the History of Political Economy
Research Associate, School of Law
Duke University

https://sites.duke.edu/sgmedema/