Dear colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am writing regarding the next session of my research seminar, “Description, Evaluation and Prescription in Economics and Philosophy” at the Collège International de Philosophie (Université Paris Lumières), organized with the support of the Walras-Pareto Center (Université de Lausanne) and the Université Paris Cité.

The next session will take place on Friday, April 28. I will have the honor and pleasure of listening to a talk by Sheila Dow, Emeritus Professor of Economics (University of Stirling), entitled, Values in Different Domains of Economics: Scientific Motivation, Methodology, Epistemology, and Ontology.

Here is the Abstract of the talk:

The purpose of this paper is to consider the nature and role of values in economics, with particular attention to moral and epistemological values. The argument is developed that giving priority to one constrains the scope for the other. Whether moral or epistemological values dominate influences both the moral-value content of theory and the way in which theory is developed. We first discuss prioritization in terms of the motivation for economic analysis understood in terms of the implementation of values. We then consider how values apply and interact at the separate levels of methodology, epistemology, and ontology. The framework is illustrated by considering the work of Geoff Harcourt, who was unusual in prefacing his economics with a statement of his moral values. This is contrasted with the standard mainstream approach.

Sheila is one of the most original thinkers of our time, having published around 300 books, edited volumes, book chapters, and papers on various topics, including Macroeconomics, Monetary Economics, Post Keynesian Economics, Keynes, the Scottish Enlightenment, Economic Methodology, and the History, Epistemology and Philosophy of Economics. She is the author of The Methodology of Macroeconomic Thought (Edward Elgar, 1998), the editor, with Alexander Dow, of A History of Scottish Economic Thought (Routledge, 2006), with Richard Arena and Matthias Klaes, of Open Economics: Economics in Relation to Other Disciplines (Routledge, 2009) and, with Jesper Jespersen and Geoff Tily, of The General Theory and Keynes for the 21st Century (Edward Elgar, 2018).

Ioana Negru and Penelope Hawkins have recently published a remarkable volume, Economic Methodology, History and Pluralism (Routledge, 2022), to pay tribute to Sheila’s exceptional scholarship. You can read John Davis’s chapter in this volume, entitled “Sheila Dow’s Open Systems Methodology,” using this link.

The talk, open to all without registration, will take place from 5.30 pm to 7.30 pm (Paris time) over Zoom. You can attend the seminar using this link: https://unil.zoom.us/j/95709013453

My very best wishes,

--
Sina Badiei, Ph.D. in Philosophy, Epistemology and History of Economics
Junior Lecturer and Research Officer at the Walras-Pareto Centre, Institut d'études politiques de l'Université de Lausanne