From: Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Rahim Thawer
Sent: Tuesday, 1 August 2023 10:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SDOH] Fwd: On being a politicized practitioner

By Rahim Thawer, MSW
[Rahim Thawer]<https:[log in to unmask]>
Rahim Thawer<https:[log in to unmask]>
  ∙
21 min read
  ∙
View on Medium<https://medium.com/p/aec7b32d790f?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1690850801105-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------eab23f04_9064_4f41_8b19_fa7c404243da--------597929d6d452>
On being a politicized practitioner

By Rahim Thawer, MSW

[Post image]

Agree or disagree: If a client brings up something political, it’s our job not to engage.

This is one of many questions I’ve posed to social workers, counselling students, and psychotherapists in my workshops across Canada and South Africa. People have strong feelings about politics and whether or not they belong in the clinical space. Some suggest it’s our role to be engaged in current political discourse and prepared to engage with the topics brought forth by our clients. Others argue that we have to work hard to maintain and “hold space” until there’s an opening to explore the personal impact and emotional consequence of what’s being shared. Relational therapists, whether Gestalt or psychoanalytic, would infer that the client brought this topic up because of the very people that are in the therapeutic relationship — that it’s part of the `relational field’ or the transference — and therefore cannot be seen as merely incidental to treatment.

I invite you to read the remaining multiple-choice questions from my workshop surveys and consider how you might respond. Reflect on whether or not your position on each question has evolved since your initial clinical training.

How do you understand the value of `self-determination’ in social work or psychology?

a) Professional
b) Political
c) Both

How do you understand the value of ‘sex-positivity’ in direct practice?

a) Professional
b) Political
c) Both

How do you understand the value of being `pro-choice’ in direct practice?

a) Professional
b) Political
c) Both

If I’m working at a community organization that serves people living in poverty, my work is:

a) Professional
b) Political
c) Both

If I’m working at a community organization to support people living with HIV, my work is:

a) Professional
b) Political
c) Both

There’s a new addition to your outreach or clinical team. Your co-worker says to you that she only got hired because she’s a woman of colour. You are likely to:

a) Say nothing
b) Agree with the co-worker
c) Challenge the statement

You’re in a consultation meeting and a colleague says, “I have an attention-seeking female client that wants to use male pronouns.” You are likely to:

a) Say nothing
b) Agree with the co-worker
c) Challenge the statement

If a client brings up something political, it’s our job not to engage.

a) Agree
b) Disagree
c) It depends

If a client were to say, “It’s hard for me to find work because there are too many immigrants willing to work for less,” I believe:

a) This is within my scope to address/explore
b) I’m comfortable responding
c) I’m uncomfortable responding
d) I would feel triggered

If a client says, “I feel like I’m treated differently at work as a Black person,” I believe:

a) This is within my scope to address/explore
b) I’m comfortable responding
c) I’m uncomfortable responding
d) I would feel triggered

A client says, “My eldest child is having difficulty. Her teacher thinks the cause is ADHD, and they want to put her on medication. I’m worried.” I believe:

a) This is within my scope to address
b) I’m comfortable responding
c) I’m uncomfortable responding
d) I would feel triggered

Overall, I believe my professional work is political.

a) Agree
b) Disagree
c) Unsure

Reflect on your responses overall. Is your work ethic more or less political than you might have initially thought? What are the nuances that came up when you considered your responses to these questions?

Our clinical approach and appreciation of the scope of practice will inevitably be informed by our own social locations: age, race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and class. As a result, different emotions and intensities will be evoked in the therapist based on their own lived experience and political orientations. For example, when I circulated this survey, almost all respondents indicated they were comfortable with responding to the concerned mother whose child is being evaluated for ADHD. However, when it comes to a client’s subjective experience of racial mistreatment, respondents indicated a range of responses, among them a feeling of being personally triggered. When the racialized therapist is triggered in this context, it can lead to a range of trauma responses: over-identification in a fight response, redirection in a flight response, or dissociation in a freeze response. Most survey respondents shared in the discussion that they wanted to believe the client at face value. Others stated the importance of maintaining some level of curiosity about the context and where the experience fits into individual behavioural patterns. This approach is absolutely okay (you’re not inherently `blaming the victim’ by being curious). However, curiosity without the politicized lens about how racism operates, and more specifically how anti-Black racism operates, can instead be experienced as persecutory suspicion that works against the client’s interest.

Developing a politicized lens with clients at the centre

People want to talk about political events in therapy because they are directly affected by them in their daily lives. Climate crises, the cost of living, bodily autonomy, police brutality, and fears of being stripped of constitutional rights — these are but a few of many politicized issues that may arise. My social work training lends itself to an entry point that utilizes anti-oppression as a framework for interpreting these large-scale topics. Anti-oppressive perspectives dominate the political left so clients who are culturally saturated in these narratives will need their therapists to help them separate a structural analysis from interpersonal dynamics; micro-aggressions from narcissistic injury; and historical marginalization from residual anger.

As therapists, we listen on multiple levels. In my own practice, I listen with a political ear, a psycho-dynamic ear, and a cognitive-behavioural ear, but also a Gestalt heart. These ways of listening are what distinguish therapy from mere conversation. As a politicized practitioner, I notice that it’s harder for me to access my own empathy when a client seems to have a strong perspective that’s working against them. For example, I’ve had numerous clients bring to therapy their charged positions on inter-community conflict, like publicly exposing a person who has caused harm (sometimes overstated as abuse), actively engaging in an internet war (phone in hand, Twitter feed open) during a session, or choose to call the police on a neighbour in a community where the police likely aren’t well equipped to respond appropriately.

I can recall the tightness in my chest when a gay male client processed in therapy whether or not he would want to report HIV non-disclosure from one of his sexual partners (who posed little risk for actual transmission to my client). Politically, I am firmly against the criminalization of HIV non-disclosure. However, I needed a way to access my empathy so I could also listen on other levels. I affirmed that summoning the state to intervene in his relationship was an option but that I’d like to explore other parts of his experience. I asked about when my client’s anger actually began for the man he’d been pursuing. We identified that the problem was actually about the other man’s emotional unavailability which felt cold before they even had sex. It turned out, this also mirrored the kind of coldness he experienced from his family of origin, particularly his father and older brother. This meant that the man he’d been pursuing for some time was triggering past interpersonal trauma and leaving him anxious about the possibility of rejection or mistreatment. With this in mind, we considered if calling the police was actually about accountability from the sexual partner (again, who posed no risk to the client) or displaced anger about longstanding mistreatment from the men in his life.
[Post image]
[Post image]

Moments like these challenge therapists to suspend their strong reactions and create a safe container for the issues that invite anger and distress. While a therapist can never truly be a blank slate, the effort to maintain some neutrality and grasp for curiosity in place of a punitive response is important (and specifically our job). A therapist sharing too much of their own political analysis (too quickly, without exploratory questions) is poorly managing their own countertransference. This response is a disservice to the client and the profession.

When it comes to politically-based countertransference, Spangler, P. T. et al. (2017) write,

We as psychotherapists are as subject to the political climate as any member of society. In managing any countertransference, gaining awareness is the first step, specifically by recognizing our political hot button topics and the triggers for them. Are there particular topics that rile? Does denial of global warming or scientific methods in general set you off? Or are questions about voter fraud likely to be a focus of unresolved material? Whatever the issue, awareness that it is a trigger is important, as is understanding the underlying source of the countertransference.

Consider a South Asian woman in her late 30s whose family migrated from India to Canada in the 1970s. She comes to therapy to talk about her anger toward her mother for being oddly competitive and mildly narcissistic. Her therapist, also a South Asian woman, deploys her political analysis inappropriately by (unintentionally) siding with the mother and introducing the impact of migration and racism on the nuclear family. The client can access this kind of affirmation and systemic analysis through community care. She needs her therapist to cultivate cultural safety by being aware of the trauma of immigration while also holding space for the anger toward the `bad mother.’ Being a politicized therapist isn’t about proving to your client that you have a particular systemic analysis; rather, it’s about understanding the political context and intervening in a way that is meaningful for your client as an individual.
[Post image]
[Post image]

In cases where clients are immersed in the realm of the political, our task is often to hold space for the deep impact of both proximal and distal events, support psychological integration of the material (i.e. facilitating somatic and cognitive metabolizing), nurture safety so that grief can be identified and expressed, and help our clients access a clearer mind as they proceed. Our interventions are individual and therefore limited. We know from our clinical experience, however, that individuals who feel supported by their therapists can then participate more optimally in collective settings.

Vignettes, deconstructed

Conservative psychiatrist Dr. Sally Satel argues that anti-racism and critical race theory are “encroaching” on a profession that should be neutral and apolitical. I disagree with her wholeheartedly. However, I do believe the following statement by Satel (2017) to also be true:

When therapists use patients as receptacles for their worldview, patients are not led to introspection, nor are they emboldened to experiment with new attitudes, perspectives, and actions. Patients labelled by their therapists as oppressors can feel alienated and confused; those branded as oppressed learn to see themselves as feeble victims.

Nevertheless, I also cannot imagine a clinical assessment that is not grounded in a political context. Below I have provided a snapshot of four different clients I have worked with, followed by notes on what a purely medical model and apolitical way forward might be. I then offer notes on the political context from my worldview and discuss my politically informed clinical approach with each client.

Client A

Snapshot:
Client A misuses her morphine prescription but also feels that her disabilities and perpetuated poverty leave her with little joy in her life. She has a visual disability and had chronic pain issues at a young age that eventually required her to use a wheelchair long-term. As with most people who experience chronic pain over a long period, her tolerance for medication has increased over time. She routinely `runs out’ of pain medication and is unable to able to get a prescription refill from her doctor.
[Post image]
[Post image]

Medical-apolitical approach:
Client A needs substance use counselling combined with CBT for depression; perhaps budgeting support.

Political context:
Client A’s poverty and pain are very real. An initial desire to focus on behavioural health discounts the systems that keep her poor (she receives less in social assistance monthly than what most people received for CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit: biweekly financial support for employed and self-employed Canadians who were directly affected by COVID-19). This focus would also make me, as a professional, morally superior. When she drops out of therapy, I can easily conclude that she wasn’t ready for change. So, is the misuse of the morphine a problem? Partially. But if I can’t get her affordable housing or strong-arm the city’s mayor to start caring about disabled people, my politically-informed approach is to ensure she has a dignified space to explore her trauma with an understanding that her current problem isn’t with addiction; it’s with limited resources.

My approach:
I explored the client’s relationship to morphine. We talked about what it allows her to feel temporarily and what emotional pain it enables her to escape. We gently acknowledged that morphine is soothing physical and emotional pain. I empathized with her shame for being labelled as “drug seeking” while also recognizing that she probably can’t be prescribed more. I recall saying, “I understand this drug is your friend, she (the medication) is very dependable, but I want for you to be able to make it last to the end of the month so that you’re able to get a dose of the warm feels on some of the harder days.” She agreed that this was reasonable as long as she could vent from time-to-time about how the system holds her back. “Of course!” I said.

Client B

Snapshot:
Client B experiences very real micro-aggressions as a queer Black man. He has a complex trauma history, including incestual abuse. He has borderline personality disorder. He endorsed this diagnosis but doesn’t like the stigma that comes with it. Client B is acutely aware that such a diagnostic label might lead others to minimize his experiences. His day-to-day concerns were about alcohol dependency, emotional dysregulation and underlying contempt in numerous interactions.

Medical-apolitical approach:
BPD requires skills training in dialectic behaviour therapy, substance use counselling, and anti-psychotic medication to help manage paranoid patterns of thinking (particularly when client drinks too much).
[Post image]
[Post image]

Political context:
As a Black man, he’s part of a population that tends to be over-diagnosed with mental illness. He’s smart and knows this. I want him to know that I know, too. Alcohol is a socially sanctioned substance and we are all (myself included) trying to consider what moderation looks like. Alcohol likely supports emotional regulation and facilitates access to emotion but works against him when there’s too much anger that comes to the surface. Psychotic symptoms (e.g. paranoid delusions) should be treated, but they are also an amplified form of anxiety; that anxiety is embodied and tells a story.

My approach:
I began where he was at talking about race and racism. He was diagnosed by a white psychiatrist and lamented, “What if this diagnosis was designed to make the psychiatrist feel more powerful or perhaps to keep me from progressing in life?” We created space to both grieve that this has been true for many, but likely not in his case. We identified the hostility that gets activated in the power dynamic with his psychiatrist. Underneath, he longed to become a psychiatrist and work specifically in his own community to protect his people from harm.

We explored the BPD diagnosis at length: “What does this label mean to you and how do you understand it? What do you think it summarizes about your past? What does it mean for you in everyday interaction? In what way do the criteria of this diagnosis make you feel relieved and/or defensive?”

Then we addressed the function of alcohol and underlying anxiety. I worked to hold space for his paranoid thinking and the shame underpinning his narcissistic injuries, while also helping him see the evidence of his own skills, talents and positive attributes that comprise his self-worth. We agreed there are times when he experiences anxiety more intensely or feels slights from other people more deeply than others might — that’s the BPD at work. I didn’t dispute that micro-aggressions exist in his world (because I believe they do), but we talked about how his reaction to them might be different given his baseline anxiety, frequent state of inebriation and early experiences of trauma. The politicized goal for therapy was not skills-based training (though I did refer him out to attend a group); rather it was to neutralize the stigmas of his diagnoses, unearth the schemas following his sexual abuse, and as the therapist, offer “the gleam of the mother’s eye” (Kohut, 1971) that was never afforded to him as a child.

Client Q

Snapshot:
Client Q lost his friend to a drug overdose one year ago. He is having trouble finding work and getting out of bed. He’s recently moved back in with his family of origin due to financial constraints. He is also working to manage his symptoms of bipolar disorder and prevent relapse with opiate use.

Medical, apolitical approach:
The client may benefit from grief counselling, structured relapse prevention and CBT to disrupt the onset of manic or depressive episodes.

Political context:
If we pay attention to harm reduction activists, they would first reframe the problem: the client’s friend died from lack of a safe supply, not an overdose. The lack of safe supply is about drug policy; many substances are criminalized, drug testing kits are not widely available, and supervised consumption services are scarce. Deaths related to unsafe supply are largely ignored because drug users have been ejected from mainstream society — particularly if they are poor.
[Post image]
[Post image]

My approach:
I offered politically informed grief therapy. We created space for anger toward the system that let their friend die. We processed the ways in which their late friend was vilified post-mortem and the ways people tended to individualize the problem of addiction. We established cultural safety by my willingness to talk about systemic oppression. This foundation allowed us to explore the concept of disenfranchised grief and the isolation that accompanies it. The therapeutic relationship then felt safe enough for the client to move through some of the stages of grief and to express anger toward their late friend: “He should have quit using when I did…I should have intervened…he knew how to get his drugs tested, why didn’t he?”

Client Experience 5: Client R

Snapshot:
Client R is a trans woman with a serious mental illness who is also seeking vaginoplastic surgery. When she’s referred to me, her physician’s goal is to help her contain her anxiety, auditory hallucinations (there’s always a person upstairs keeping her awake on purpose), and persecutory delusions (there’s a complex web of people and organizations working against her). The client wants to see me for a readiness assessment in order to pursue gender-affirming surgery.

Medical, apolitical approach:
This client, due to her state of mind and unwillingness to take psychiatric medication, cannot appreciate the risks related to surgery and therefore cannot provide informed consent. Further, any surgical complications may lead her to mistrust the surgeon making it difficult to provide any further care.

Political context:
This woman came to Canada as a refugee many years ago. In her country of origin, where she identified as a gay man, she feared for her life. She has a trauma history and, at present, her window of distress tolerance is minimal (meaning she’s easily triggered and subsequently speaks in a louder, impassioned way that can seem confrontational). When people are afraid of her reactions, they likely cannot appreciate how transmisogyny and racialized sanism can operate at once.
[Post image]
[Post image]

My approach:
Most clients who are specifically seeking a readiness assessment spend two or three sessions with me before I can produce an adequate letter. Many more clients enter therapy wanting psycho-social support and merely identify pursuing surgery as a future goal. In this therapeutic relationship, the client and I spent 12 sessions together before a letter could be produced. She needed me to hear her experiences: her migration story, her traumatic experiences of persecution, and her frustration with the impact of being over-medicated on an inpatient unit many years ago.

I became a container for much of her dysregulation and anger. We slowly talked through the very things her other providers couldn’t: their concerns about liability, clarity about her surgical expectations, the prospect of future mistrust, the consequence of not following a post-surgical dilation regimen. She asked me if I believed that people were “against her.” I said, “I have no doubt that you’ve been treated badly. I don’t share the view that everyone is presently working against you. But it doesn’t matter because you have a right to surgery.” We also talked about the possibility that she will suspect her care team isn’t working in her best interests. The alternative thought we landed on was this: “Providing me with good care is connected to their reputation so I should assume they want to do their best.” My drive to support this client was nothing short of political.

Politically-informed clinical inquiry

In their article, Navigating the Minefield of Politics in the Therapy Session, Spangler, P. T. et al. (2017) discuss the concept of political cultural competence, particularly following the 2016 American election of Donald Trump, which left the country divided: personal identities became about political affiliations. They state:

…few training programs address political affiliation as a component of culture or identity or how it may inform treatment or affect the therapy relationship. When clients bring differing political views into the therapy room, it can cause us unease, a sense of not knowing the way forward. It requires us to bracket our views and our privilege and dive beneath political opinions contrary to our own to find the human being and the experiences at the source of these opinions.

Review the case studies below. Each is written with the reader as the therapist. The clients either bring up something specifically political or their statements require the therapist to be politically aware to some degree. I will provide some notes on the politicized layers of the case and then lead with a sample of exploratory questions that I hope will demonstrate political-cultural competence.

Case Study 1: Anil

This client is in his early 30s, racialized and heterosexual. He has been assigned to you for case management after being discharged from the hospital. He was admitted for severe alcohol dependency that led to psychotic symptoms and a suicide attempt. To begin to work with Anil, you come up with a safety plan and harm reduction strategies. At the end of your second meeting, he shared that he doesn’t feel safe at home. When you probe further, he says that his neighbours are a gay couple, and he believes they embody the devil and are using black magic to disrupt his sobriety. As a social worker and a queer person, you feel activated by this.

Political and conceptual notes:

· Anil could be unaware that I’m queer and he’s plainly homophobic.
· He could have a tacit awareness about my queerness as the therapist that makes him want to bring this up with me (which would be a relational interpretation).
· Facing addictive patterns brings out hopelessness in many people; a scapegoat narrative is common.
· Talk of magic and the supernatural is part of many cultures.
[Post image]
[Post image]

Clinical inquiry:

· You bring up something interesting that we haven’t talked about. Can you tell me a bit about your spirituality and experience with magic?
· How do you make sense of your struggle with alcohol and recovery before you lived next door to this couple? What was driving it then?
· It seems a lot of emotion comes up for you when you talk about the neighbours. What upsets and intrigues you about them?
· I don’t know that we can do anything about the neighbours unless you want to move. What are some additional factors, ones that we can control, that affect your alcohol dependency?

Case Study 2: Karena

Karena is 28, female, and white. She has been referred to you through an employee assistance program. Karena works at a finance company and has been having difficulty focusing. Recently, she made a series of small mistakes on an important client account and was reprimanded. She told her manager she was struggling. When you begin to work with her, you identify quickly that she is struggling with anxiety driven by self-doubt and an unsupportive partner. As you empathize with her and begin to explore the issue, she states that her Black co-workers are very loud and disruptive, which makes it hard for her to do her job. You’re taken aback by this statement.

Political and conceptual notes:

· The client’s narrative is clearly informed by anti-Black racism.
· Neurodivergence is often overlooked in women and plants the seeds for perfectionism, anxiety, and social challenges.
· Patriarchal gender socialization often allows men to be absent in relationships; in this case, it may have led the client to seek power and control in other ways.
[Post image]
[Post image]

Clinical inquiry:

· Can you share a bit about how you have fit into work and social situations throughout your life?
· What you describe sounds like it could be disruptive to your work, but the image that comes up in my mind is one of being left out. Is that part of why you feel upset with your colleagues?
· You’ve identified that negative self-talk or self-blame is primarily what holds you back. How long has this been true? Where do you suspect it originates?
· When you see other people getting along well and when you’re not included, I wonder if it activates a kind of shame for you. Shame can make us feel inferior and lead us to bring others down. Could this be true in this scenario?
· Do you suspect there’s a connection between race and conversational style? Were you aware that you were relying on a racial stereotype about Black women when you initially described the problem?

Case Study 3: Mubin

Mubin is a 38-year-old male, straight and single. This client self-refers to you for private therapy services (and you are a woman). He states that his last three relationships have failed and he is feeling very frustrated. The first three sessions are fairly calm and he participates willingly and fully. In session four, you begin talking about jealousy. You say that it’s normal but can also be toxic. Mubin gets agitated and says, “You women always criticize men, but what about when you cheat on men and treat us like garbage? My ex basically forced me to stalk her.” You take a pause and feel your heartbeat pick up pace.

Political and conceptual notes:

· The transference of `the dismissive partner’ began when he selected you as a therapist; this attack is an important re-enactment (though it might feel a bit scary for the therapist).
· Mubin may or may not be aware of his power and privilege in the world; he might have a men’s rights movement mentality.
· He’s probably anxiously attached and asks for love/reassurance in a way that’s too aggressive.
· This client is in pain and desperate but is also a misogynist.
[Post image]
[Post image]

Clinical inquiry:

· I’d like to slow us down. We began by talking about you, and then it was suddenly about all women versus all men. Have you felt embroiled in a gender war of sorts? Tell me about when or where that began.
· When you spoke earlier, you said “You women.” I wonder if you’re afraid that you’ll be vulnerable with me and then I’ll treat you badly. How do you imagine that will play out?
· Jealousy usually shows up when we feel threatened in some way. In your last relationship, what were you worried about? Were you worried that you would be replaced?
· What would it mean or say about you if your partner wanted to be with someone else?

Conclusion

Clients will seek out therapists based on their political stripes, just as they do for preferences of gender, sexual orientation, and race. This is absolutely reasonable. However, the presumption of absolute value alignment is faulty. We cannot reduce people to their social locations of race, gender, class, sexual orientation, or disability. No one is just that one thing. But as therapists, we also have to be ready to engage with the politics of identity. Clients will inevitably bring politics into a session and we have to decide how to manage it. Being able to identify when you’re feeling triggered or defensive in response to a client’s statements is an important step toward successfully moving through the therapeutic process. Most of my therapy clients have scanned my social media profiles before contacting me. They know when to opt-out. Someone who is staunchly Zionist likely won’t want to work with an anti-apartheid therapist like myself. Having spent hours examining such a case in my own clinical supervision, I know that my countertransference may render me a poor match for this type of client. But make no mistake — they also deserve mental health care. And, if they wanted to work with me it would be my responsibility to sort through the conscious and unconscious dynamics at play.

Social workers and therapists are doing political work on an individual level. Conceptualizing our practice as political doesn’t mean we need to express political opinions. Rather, our politics get expressed in the way we do our work with clients (Sharma, 2019). Clients are presenting problems that often have political roots — we must be conscientious about when it’s appropriate to explore the symptoms, the environment, or the political context.

The politicized practitioner is not morally superior or always right; rather, they are aware of their politically-based countertransference while trying to access their own empathy. They know when to seek supervision and they can appreciate that their worldview is constructed. As a politicized practitioner, I believe everyone deserves access to health care, which includes access to mental health services. In a world made up of oppressive systems, helping and healing are both inherently political.