<https:[log in to unmask]>
Rahim Thawer
<https:[log in to unmask]>
  ∙
9 min read
  ∙
View on Medium
<https://medium.com/p/29696caf8348?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
I support queer and trans youth, but their parents make me anxious! Closing
the gap in our service approach.

By Rahim Thawer, MSW
[image: Post image]
[image: Post image]

People often ask me, “What do social workers do?” If that’s a question you
have, you’ll find the answer on this page
<http://redirect.medium.systems/r-n6DhhbmrYW?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
by the Canadian Association of Social Workers. Child protection and welfare
are one of the most common associations people make with the profession of
social work. Our actual roles are, of course, much more varied. I’ve mostly
worked with adults as a clinical social worker, with the exception of a
couple of years in youth mental health. This essay is a reflection on some
of the anxieties that I observed that came to the surface when social
workers were queer- and trans-affirming with youth, but struggled with
supporting families adequately. Consider the following scenarios.

*Jodi — 13 years old*

*I met Jodi when she was assigned to one of the foster families we work
with at the child welfare agency. I would do monthly home visits to see how
she was adjusting to her new home. She was somewhat withdrawn for the first
couple of visits. Then I started to see more of her personality, and her
performance in school was on a steady incline. I received a call from
Jodi’s school one afternoon when she refused to participate in Phys Ed and
had “a meltdown,” as described by one of the teachers. Jodi couldn’t
explain the despair and anguish she was experiencing to her teachers or
foster parents. But she opened up to me about “wanting to fit in with the
boys.” I knew exactly what was needed: ongoing conversations about gender
identity, education for teachers/parents, perhaps supporting new pronoun
use (with time), and connection to peer/affirming services. I did it — I
helped in a way others couldn’t, and it made all the difference.*

*Ra’ees — 15 years old*

*Ra’ees got into a physical altercation at school early in the fall term
and was suspended for two weeks. He was so upset he didn’t want to go back
to school, but his parents were adamant that he return promptly. They also
demanded that he turn things around in order to bring home better grades
and get into university. Ra’ees returned to school but simply couldn’t keep
up with the work, so he started skipping classes. Once his parents found
out, there was a huge “blow up” at home, at which point the neighbours
called the police. Child welfare was notified so they could pursue an
investigation. The family reluctantly entered a “keeping families together”
(a.k.a. wrap-around) program for parent-teen conflict. When I met Ra’ees,
his affect was warm and calm. He told jokes and seemed quite bright. I
almost couldn’t believe he was engaged in conflict.*

*When I talked to him about his truancy, he shared that people at school
were spreading rumours about his sexual orientation and he had become
really upset. I wanted to ask him more about his sexuality but I only had
one individual session with him before meeting with the whole family. When
the family came together, Ra’ees talked mostly about the weight and
pressure of family expectations, uncertainty about whether or not
post-secondary was right for him, and wanting to find work so he could live
on his own in a couple of years. His parents could not understand his
perspective. I wondered if there was a connection between the rumours at
school, his actual journey in questioning his sexuality, the ambivalence
around school, and his resistance toward his parents’ well-intentioned but
overbearing career mapping. Still, I could not bring myself to bring up
sexuality or the rumours in front of his parents. They were from a
different culture from myself and I worried I might only make things worse.
By 16, Ra’ees had aged out of child welfare programs. It didn’t look like
he was going to complete high school but he had found work and he was
living at youth shelter temporarily.*

As social workers, we are often working with people who are part of
vulnerable communities. We seek training to strengthen our interventions,
increase our cultural competence, and avoid causing any further harm. With
this in mind, let’s consider some of the elements presented in the
scenarios above.

*What made Jodi and Ra’ees’ situations different?*

Both of these clients were young people in need; both alluded to, without
declaring in any explicit way, that they were questioning their gender or
sexual identity. And both were in situations where the adults around them
didn’t understand them very well.

*Why did the worker feel empowered to support the young person in one
situation while being apprehensive in the other?*

Perhaps the worker saw themselves as being in closer proximity (or
affinity) to the child in foster care, almost like a surrogate parent? I
think there’s a good chance the worker had assumptions about the cultural
background and subsequent response of the parents in the other situation.

*Was Ra’ees trajectory through wrap-around services defined by a focus on
tangible outcomes or one riddled with bias?*

Was there a pause taken where the worker thought, ‘Let’s not create more
conflict but let’s focus on helping the family hear each other’? Where did
the bias become an obstacle?

*If we were to develop a stage-wise plan for supporting someone like Ra’ees
— this time addressing his sexuality — what might this look like?*

Several questions arise: Do we have to alter the service? Do we have to
collaborate with other partners? Do we need more individual sessions? Do we
need to collect resources and do a deep dive so that we’re prepared to
support his parents regardless of what their response or reaction is?

*What does it look like to be anti-racist and confront difficult issues
with racialized parents when the worker is white?*

One thing I encourage social workers to do is to prepare to do some
psychoeducation and answer questions parents might have if their child were
to come out. Here’s a guide
<https:[log in to unmask]>
for what that process might look like. It is important that we’re mindful
about the place from which we’re responding. Are we responding from a place
of care and compassion or are we responding from a place of retaliation,
having taken offence from a reactionary position?
[image: Post image]
[image: Post image]

*New Operating Assumptions*

If we’re going to do this work, we need to think about what some of our
newer operating assumptions might be. Think about Ra’ees and how he may
have slipped through the cracks. Here’s a list of five operating
suggestions that I’m bringing to the table:

   1. Resist racist dichotomies and the pressure to buy into
   homo-nationalism;
   2. Appreciate the nuances of the immigration experience;
   3. Don’t pedal toward nationalism and Canadian-values;
   4. Use reflexivity to examine biases;
   5. Take cues from the young person about support needs;
   6. Prepare for tough conversations.

*1.* *Resist racist dichotomies and pressure to buy into homo-nationalism*

All the knowledge and language we have around sexuality and gender in a
Western context is also available (and being produced) across the world.
*Access* to this knowledge and language is a *likely *function of exposure,
education, class, systems of hetero/cis-sexism. This is true for white and
racialized families alike. The big dichotomy we need to break down here is
between two assumptions: people who are newcomers and/or from a culture
that’s “backward,” and don’t understand LGBTQ identities; and those who see
Canada as a progressive place primarily made up of a white dominant culture
where fluid gender and sexualities or multiple sexual/gender identities are
accepted. Neither of those statements is true.
[image: Post image]
[image: Post image]

*2.* *Appreciate the nuances of the immigration experience*

The immigration experience is wrapped up in experiences of loss, sacrifice,
trauma, intergenerational planning, access to opportunities, and
legacy-making. Queerness disrupts the dream and end-goals of legacies and
activates a *grief response*. I can tell you, as a racialized queer person,
that so much of my resistance to hetero-normativity, and my ideas about
what liberation is, has not been about fitting into a straight world — it’s
been about creating my own script, my own plan for how to be in the world;
creating my own narrative of what it means to be part of society without
prioritizing institutions like marriage and children. This outlook raises a
question: How do we create space for the disconnect between generations of
people if we’re working with a racialized newcomer family who has had to
endure the trauma and grief of immigration, and now feel like they’ve lost
an idea of their child and the linear planning that they had done around
what they were going to leave behind? Migration is somewhat synonymous with
sacrificing: it involves moving to another place where you likely know very
few people, where you will experience racism and xenophobia, and where
you’ll struggle financially for years — all in hopes of a “better life.”
There’s lots of pain here for the entire family: the young person who’s
coming out and seeking liberation in new ways, as well as the family who is
grieving what feels like a loss of their child.

*3.* *Don’t pedal toward nationalism and Canadian-values*

Our work *isn’t *to teach racialized newcomers about what it means to be a
“progressive Canadian.” Rather, it’s to provide resources and information
that reflect sexual and gender diversity within many cultures and
religions. Never should we ever say, “This is how we do it in Canada,” when
it comes to physical harm or what we assume are Canadian values. There’s no
such thing as a Canadian value; that is a construction designed to make
Canada seem progressive when actually, there are lots of white and
Canadian-born people here who are not progressive, not enlightened, and not
anti-oppressive.

Rather, we need to provide resources and information that reflects sexual
and gender diversity within many cultures and religions. We need to be able
to say, “I am not from your community but I know queer and trans people
exist in your community. I’ve met them — they’ve come to seek services and
support through child welfare. We know some of these folks who exist in the
community and they have resources. I’m happy to connect you to them if you
like, but I don’t think we can avoid this topic. Your child has brought it
to the table; you need to have this conversation. If as a parent you don’t
have a ton to say, it’ll be an opportunity for you to ask questions, or for
me to ask questions, and listen to what your child has to say.”

*4.* *Use reflexivity to examine biases*

We all have biases. We just do. Supervision, consultation, and
self-reflexivity are resources we must draw on throughout our careers so we
can balance our desire to produce tangible outcomes with supporting the
most vulnerable in our societies.

*5.* *Take cues from the young person*

Supporting the most vulnerable is not the same as having tangible outcomes.
I wonder, in the scenario about Ra’ees’ family, if a bit more probing about
how Ra’ees wanted to be supported might have inched him forward in a way
that made school a bit more tolerable. Was there any truth to the rumors or
did Ra’ees want resources that his parents may or may not need to know
about? It’s hard to know if he was struggling with behavior issues that
might easily be labeled as oppositional defiance, ADHD, a learning
disability, or if it was that his school and then, subsequently, the
support he received, weren’t accessible spaces for him to be who he is or
even explore who he wants to be. That’s what makes him the most vulnerable
of the person in the family.

*6.* *Preparing for tough questions and conversations is key!*

I’ve given a list of seven questions and provided some possible answers or
ways to approach those questions. Each of us needs to think about which
questions come up throughout our careers and within our teams, and then
start preparing how we want to respond to these questions from a place of
compassion, rooted in a solid grounding of wanting to educate without being
condescending. It’s very important we invite people into our conversations.

*Conclusion*

Social workers working with queer and trans youth are in a critical
position that can shift the trajectory of their clients’ lives — both
positively and negatively. Direct service within child welfare, child
protection and youth mental health cannot be seen as individual client
services. A family-level intervention is often needed. Social workers are
challenged then to consider their own biases around culture and sexuality
and the ways they can critically approach their support interventions with
queer and trans youth and their families.
Respond on Medium
<https://medium.com/p/29696caf8348?responsesOpen=true&source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
View story
<https://medium.com/p/29696caf8348?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
Sent to [log in to unmask] by Rahim Thawer on Medium
Unsubscribe
<https://medium.com/me/email-settings/c943fa4c1aea/3fcc3937033f?type=required&newsletterV3Id=597929d6d452&source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
from this writer’s Medium emails
Unsubscribe from all
<https://medium.com/me/unsubscribe-all-newsletters?tokenHash=3fcc3937033f&nonce=b7277a53-2ac1-47ed-9147-dc535b441153&email=rahim%40affectiveconsult.ca&source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
newsletters sent using Medium

Medium, 548 Market St
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/548+Market+St?entry=gmail&source=g>,
PMB 42061, San Francisco, CA 94104
Careers
<https://medium.com/jobs-at-medium/work-at-medium-959d1a85284e?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
·Help Center
<https://help.medium.com/hc/en-us?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
·Privacy Policy
<https://policy.medium.com/medium-privacy-policy-f03bf92035c9?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
·Terms of service
<https://policy.medium.com/medium-terms-of-service-9db0094a1e0f?source=email-c943fa4c1aea-1691097945767-newsletter.subscribeToProfile-------------------------1fd1c123_33ec_4216_a9ad_2c2df54c8c1d--------597929d6d452>
--

Rahim Thawer
affectiveconsult.ca