How about nurses from usa?

Catherine DeLorey, RN

On 9/11/2023 3:42 PM, Corina Thompson wrote:
Dear colleagues,
Please consider signing this petition. You do not have to be a nurse to participate.
Regards,
Corina Thompson, RN

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 2:42 PM
Subject: ACTION ALERT: Canada is burning and our future is in peril! Act NOW, Premier Ford and Prime Minister Trudeau!
To: Ms. Corina Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

View in Browser
Registered Nurses' Association of
                                  Ontario

Dear Corina,

As of late August 2023, 15 million hectares of land across Canada – almost twenty-seven times the size of Prince Edward Island – have gone up in smoke as a result of thousands of wildfires. The 2023 wildfire season has already been Canada’s most severe on record.

These wildfires, which led to mandatory evacuations of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories and many other communities, also threaten the millions forced to breathe the massive quantities of harmful pollutants released. At one point in June, Toronto had the worst air quality of any major city in the world due to forest fires in northeastern Ontario and Quebec.

We're calling on governments to put forward a science-based plan to address the climate emergency - join us!

The wildfire smoke that has surrounded millions of Canadians this season – impacting our health and wellbeing – is a reminder that we can’t escape the climate crisis. And, it is but a taste of what’s to come unless our governments take decisive and strong action  – now.

And, it’s not just the air we breathe, it’s much more: heat domes, powerful rainstorms, thawing permafrost and catastrophic hurricanes. The news cycle has become consumed by climate disasters of all types happening everywhere.

The response should not be gloom and doom. The scientific consensus is clear. We can take action to mitigate and adapt to the climate crisis. There are solutions and opportunities! The technology and know-how are available, and time is of the essence. It’s critical that all orders of government end their support for the fossil fuel industries and focus on building a sustainable economy and society.

Nurses demand that politicians from all parties wake up to the urgency and scale of the emergency, and act accordingly.

Join us! Call on governments to put forward a science-based plan that addresses the scale and urgency of the climate crisis. Tell Premier Ford and Prime Minister Trudeau to behave like this is an emergency – because it is one!

Other ways you can get involved:

  • RNAO, a member organization of the Ontario Climate Emergency Campaign (OCECD), has signed on to the campaign’s 12-point climate action plan. Read it or download it from their website.
  • Many RNAO members are participating in the Global Fight to End Fossil Fuels this month. In Ottawa: Join Rob Samulack, co-chair of the Ontario Nurses for the Environment Interest Group (ONEIG), at the Ottawa Fridays for Future Rally, Friday, Sept. 15, starting at 1 p.m., at Parliament Hill. In Toronto: Join Dr. Claudette Holloway (RNAO President), Lhamo Dolkar (RNAO President-Elect) and ONEIG co-chair Josalyn Radcliffe at the Toronto Rally to End Fossil FuelsSaturday, Sept. 16 starting at 11 a.m. at Queen's Park. Please contact Ann-Marie Morris ([log in to unmask]) for more information.
  • Not in Toronto or Ottawa? View the interactive map on the fridaysforfuture.ca site to find out what’s going on in your area.
  • Engage with social media and amplify your action – sign and share the action alert, and tag @RNAO so we can share your message. Or, for more ideas and a list of demands, download this action and amplification pack.

Warm regards,

Doris Grinspun, RN, BScN, MSN, PhD, LLD(hon), Dr(hc), DHC, FAAN, FCAN, O.ONT.
Chief Executive Officer, RNAO

Follow us
  Follow us
                              on Instagram

You have received this email because you indicated you want to receive information about RNAO’s political advocacy and health policy.

If you no longer wish to receive emails about RNAO’s political advocacy and health policy, please update your email preferences below:

Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RNAO)
Copyright 2023
All rights reserved