[Selections by Humberto Barreto for SHOE list.]

nep-hpe <http://nep.repec.org/nep-hpe.html> New Economics Papers
<http://nep.repec.org/> on History and Philosophy of Economics

Issue of 2023‒09‒11
papers chosen by
Erik Thomson <http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pth72.htm>,
University of Manitoba <http://umanitoba.ca/>

------------------------------

   1. Rationality is not consistency
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_4514612025750163894_p1> By Caliari,
   Daniele
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Caliari,%20Daniele>
   2. The Politics of Academic Research
   <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#m_4514612025750163894_p2> By Ringgenberg,
   Matthew C.
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Ringgenberg,%20Matthew%20C.>
   ; Shu, Chong
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Shu,%20Chong>; Werner,
   Ingrid M.
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Werner,%20Ingrid%20M.>

------------------------------

   1. Rationality is not consistency
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/RePEc:zbw:wzbeoc:spii2023304>
   By: Caliari, Daniele
   <http://econpapers.repec.org/scripts/search.pf?aus=Caliari,%20Daniele>
   Abstract: We challenge the standard definition of economic rationality
   as consistency by making use of a novel distinction between axioms of
   decision theory: consistency and preference axioms. We argue that this
   distinction has been overlooked by the literature and, as a result,
   evidence that consistency is a proxy of decision-making ability is often
   based on incorrect identification strategies. We conduct an experiment to
   investigate the factors that drive violations of consistency alone. While
   we find no evidence that consistency axioms are a proxy of decisionmaking
   ability, we provide suggestive evidence that some preference axioms are,
   confirming their potential role as confounding factors. Overall, our
   experimental evidence raises doubts about the choice of language that
   equates consistency with rationality in economics.